6.0 Unit evaluation and improvement
- To improve student learning
To identify particular aspects of the student experience that facilitates or limits learning. (Of course this feedback needs to be considered in conjunction with your own reflections and feedback from others relating to currency of the curriculum etc.)
- To enhance the student experience
To demonstrate that you value your students' views
- To promote as teaching evidence
As part of the evidence of effective and reflective teaching that you can provide for promotion or in your annual performance and development process. See Academic Promotion section IV 3c and PM&D forms.
- To share effective practices with colleagues
Unit of Study Online Evaluation (from Semester 2, 2011)
Please find below the standard evaluation questions.
- The teaching in this unit helped me to learn effectively? (old USE item 2)
- I found the knowledge and skills I gained in this unit relevant? (old USE item 6)
- The assessment in this unit allowed me to demonstrate what I had learned? (old USE item 5)
- The feedback I received on my work helped to further advance my learning? (old USE item 8)
- Overall, I am satisfied with the quality of this unit? (old USE item 12)
- What did you particularly like in this unit?
- What suggestions for improvement would you like to make?
Closing the feedback loop
Tips on using Unit of Study Online Evaluation feedback
- Question 1: The teaching in this unit helped me to learn effectively. (old USE item 2)
Teaching in ways that support my students' learning and make teaching more enjoyable
- Question 2: I found the content of this unit appropriate and relevant?
Making your unit relevant to your students
- Question 3: The assessment in this unit allowed me to demonstrate what I had learned?
- Question 4: The feedback I received on my work helped to further advance my learning?
Ensuring feedback that students receive on their work (from peers or from teaching staff) is timely, meaningful and useful
Using Mid-semester student feedback
The feedback you receive is only for your own use (although by including a brief summary and reference to any actions you took...you are providing evidence of professional development as an educator which is useful in promotion etc applications).