Primary supervisor: Dr. Teresa Davis
Co supervisor: Secondary supervisor: Professor Donnel Briley
Beyond recall: Building brand equity through virtual in-game product experiences
Description of research
A phenomenological study exploring the construction of brand knowledge created by a player's virtual experience with branded products within a video game.
MComm(Advertising), Bond University (Australia)
BA, University of Calgary (Canada)
Australian Postgraduate Award
University of Sydney Business School Faculty Top-up Scholarship
Lured by the eclectic environments of advertising agencies, Kate left Canada and her dull but sane career in the Transport & Tourism industry to pursue a Master degree in Communications in Australia.
After graduating, Kate spent five years working in the advertising industry. She worked in Strategic Planning, Business Development, Account Direction and Business Director roles in various advertising, digital and design agencies - including the renowned creative agency Saatchi & Saatchi.
Having returning to academia in 2009, Kate now focuses her time and energy on completing her PhD, which she conveniently uses to justify the many hours she spends playing video games.
In 2010, Kate helped develop a new Advertising programme at the University of New South Wales (UNSW). The success of the programme has helped earn her the role of Course Coordinator and Head Lecturer for the advertising portion of the Master of Public Relations and Advertising programme at the UNSW.
- Branding: brand experience, brand design & brand learning
- Advertising: the creative process, creative strategy & digital advertising
- Product Placement: in-game product placements
- Video Games
- Experiential Learning
- Advertising: Strategic planning (Coordinator/Lecturer)
- Advertising: The creative dimension (Coordinator/Lecturer)
- Public speaking (Lecturer)
- Business communications (Tutor)
- Organisational communications (Tutor)
Expected submission date Sep 2012