How to Apply
The Business School of the University of Sydney welcomes Expressions of Interest (EOIs) from applicants intending to apply for a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Marketing.
The purpose of the EOI is to help us make a preliminary assessment of your application without your having to complete the entire application process and to aid in the identification of potential supervisors.
All potential applicants are encouraged to submit an EOI before formally applying for admission. On the basis of the EOI, applicants may be invited to submit a formal application for admission. To avoid wasting your effort, please make sure you meet or surpass the entry requirements for the program before submitting an EOI. The Business School Research Unit will verify the meeting of all entry requirements before considering admission.
How to submit an EOI
The Marketing Department is always seeking highly motivated individuals who are interested in careers in scholarly research, and who have some research experience. Therefore, a prerequisite for the program is a research degree (an Honours degree or a Masters by thesis) in marketing or a related field, such as economics, psychology, statistics / mathematics, anthropology, cultural studies or sociology. If a candidate does not have such a degree he/she can still be admitted to the MPhil program and transfer into the PhD program later if progressing successfully.
The applicant should send to email@example.com the following items:
- A statement describing:
- A 5-10 page referenced research proposal (see page describing the content of a research proposal)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae, which includes contact information for at least 2 references (with some indication of their fluency in English, if not from an English-speaking country)
- Transcripts of your academic record (at this stage unofficial is fine)
- For non-native English speakers, evidence of English language proficiency
- Any other relevant information available, such as GMAT/GRE score, an abstract of a thesis completed for your previous degree/s, etc
This information will be assessed in terms of match with our staff's research interests and our standards for candidature. This initial evaluation typically takes 4 weeks. If there are interested advisors, you will be encouraged to submit a formal application online to the Business School. If, after submitting your EOI, the Department's Postgraduate Research Coordinator recommends that you apply for admission, applications to our postgraduate research programs can be made.
University application closing dates
Application closing dates
- Research Period 2 - 30 October
- Research Period 3 - 30 April
- Research Period 2 - 31 October for applicants applying for scholarships or 30 November for those not applying for scholarships.
- Research Period 3 - 31 May
- Only complete applications can be processed. Applications that have been received but that remain incomplete at the closing date will be considered for the next semester intake.
- No extension of the above deadlines is possible. Applications received after the published closing dates will automatically be assessed for the next intake.
NOTE: That these dates are for the submission of the official online university level application (not the EOI). The evaluation of the EOI typically takes 4-6 weeks so your EOI needs to be submitted well in advance of the university deadline. Applications received too late to make the University deadlines will automatically be assessed for the next intake.