Review of the Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Act and Agency
In 2009, over ten years on from the 1998 review of the Affirmative Action Act 1986 which resulted in the Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Act 1999, the Minister for the Status for Women has undertaken a review of the 1999 Act and the Agency.
As at June 2010 progress with the review is as follows:
- An Issues Paper was released and submissions invited in 2009
- Consultations have been undertaken by the consultants (KPMG) managing the Review for the Australian Office for Women
- KPMG have released their report on the consultations and the submissions in 2009
- A Project Reference Group was established to provide guidance and advice to the Office for Women about the review. Professor Marian Baird, Director of the Women and Work Research Group is a member
- In March 2011, the Minister for Women announced a range of reforms proposed for the Act and the Agency
- Also in March 2011, a fact sheet has been issued by the Government outlining how improvements to the Act and the Agency will be achieved
- The Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Amendment Bill 2012
- The Government web page about the review
- Submissions prepared by the Women and Work Research Group
- Some academic articles on EEO and the Act
- Download the short model submission to the EOWA Review for 8 shorts points to email as they are, or adapt to provide comments to the EOWA Review.
- Download the longer model submission to the EOWA Review (prepared by the AHRC) to email a more comprehensive response to the EOWA Review. The close-off date for submissions to the Review was 16th October 2009. However email submissions (email@example.com) will be open until 30th October 2009.