Publications & Presentations
Parental and Maternity Leave Reports
- WWRG submission to the Senate Standing Committee on Community Affairs on the Fairer Paid Parental Leave Amendment Bill 2015 , Professor Marian Baird, A/Professor Rae Cooper and Alexandra Heron
- Maternity protection in SMEs: An international review (ILO Report, 2014) - co-authored by Suzan Lewis & colleagues with contributors including Marian Baird, Director WWRG
- Paid maternity, paternity and parental leave for Australia: An evaluation of the context, evidence and policy options - Marian Baird, Jenni Whelan and Alison Page.
- Submission to the Productivity Commission inquiry into paid parental leave - Dr Leanne Cutcher and Tilly Milroy
Women and Work in NSW and Australia
- The WWRG prepared the report: ‘Advancing Women: Increasing the participation of women in senior roles in the NSW public sector’ by Prof Marian Baird, Justine Evesson & Sarah Oxenbridge, for the NSW Public Sector Commission in 2014.
- The Office for Women's Policy commissioned the Women and Work Research Group and the Workplace Research Centre, at the University of Sydney, to compile this profile of the trends and issues in NSW women's employment.
Women, Work and the Global Economic Downturn
- Baird, M., Charlesworth, S., Cooper, R. and A. Heron (2011). "Women, Work and the Global Economic Downturn" commissioned by the Australian Office for Women.
Australian Bulletin of Labour, Vol. 4, 2009
Special Issue on Women's Work - Current issues and future agendas. The articles below are based on papers from the International Women's Day conference, March 2008, hosted by the Women and Work Research Group
- Baird, M. (2009), "Women's Work - Current Issues and Future Agendas", Australian Bulletin of Labour, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 608-610.
- Van Wanrooy, B. (2009), "Women at Work in Australia: Bargaining a Better Position?",Australian Bulletin of Labour, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 611-628.
- Cortis, N. and G. Meagher (2009), "Women, Work and Welfare in the Activation State: an Agenda for Australian Research", Australian Bulletin of Labour, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 629-651.
- Smith, M. (2009), Gender Pay Equity Reform in Australia: What is the Way Forward?" Australian Bulletin of Labour, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 652-670.
- Baird, M., B. Frino and S. Williamson (2009), "Paid Maternity and Paternity Leave and the Emergence of 'Equality Bargaining' in Australia: an Analysis of Enterprise Agreements, 2003-2007", Australian Bulletin of Labour, vol. 35,no. 4, pp. 671-691.
- Murray, J. (2009), "Hope Versus Experience: Career Ambition and the Labour Market Expectations of University Educated Women", Australian Bulletin of Labour, vol. 35,no. 4, pp. 692-707.
Presentations and speeches
These are unreferred presentations, please don't cite without the authors' permission but we hope they are useful.
- A Slow (and Unfinished) Revolution: Maternity Leave, Women and Work the 2009 Clare Burton Lecture delivered by Professor Marian Baird.
- Organisational effectiveness and the flexible workplace
- Flexible and part-time work in Australia: Some responses to the need for worklife balance
- International and National perspectives on best practice trends in workplace flexibility
- Paid Parental Leave - Opportunity or Challenge for employers (July 2011) Download the presentation | Download the podcast (30.5 MB MP3)