Research Topic / Area
Parental and Maternity Leave: Papers, Studies, Reports and Workshops
- In September 2008, the WWRG hosted a consultation workshop for the Productivity Commission. It congratulates the Productivity Commission on their final report (released in 2009).
- In the 2009-2010 Budget, the Government announced that it will introduce a paid parental leave scheme on 1 January 2011 that is based closely on the recommendations of the final report of the Commission's Inquiry into Paid Parental Leave.
- In May 2010 the Government introduced the Paid Parental Leave Bill into Parliament. The Senate Community Affairs Committee conducted an inquiry into the Bill and reported on 3rd June, 2010. Read more information about the Senate Enquiry and the Bill The Paid Parental Leave (PPL) Act 2010 has since been passed and PPL began on the 1st of January, 2011.
- Parental Leave in Australia Study - For a comprehensive understanding of maternity and parental leave in Australia, visit the Parental Leave in Australia Study website. The study was undertaken by Associate Professors Gillian Whitehouse and Professor Marian Baird and colleagues at the Universities of Queensland and Sydney.
- In September 2011, the Australian Government released a policy statement on Paid Parental Leave: Dad and Partner Pay in relation to the proposed introduction of 2 weeks' paid partner pay in July 2013
- Leaves That Pay: Employer and Worker Experiences with Paid Family Leave in California by Eileen Appelbaum and Ruth Milkman.
- Greater Expectations: Summary final report. - Equal Opportunity Commission's investigation into pregnancy discrimination
WWRG Submissions on Parental Leave Issues
- Paid maternity, paternity and parental leave for Australia: An evaluation of the context, evidence and policy options - Marian Baird, Jenni Whelan and Alison Page. This paper canvasses the research evidence in Australia and internationally on paid maternity and parental leave schemes.
- Submission to the Productivity Commission inquiry into paid parental leave - Dr Leanne Cutcher and Tilly Milroy
- WWRG submission to the Paid Parental Leave Scheme Bill 2010 - Professor Marian Baird and Alexandra Heron
- WWRG submission to the Australian Bureau of Statistics regarding the proposed Pregnancy and Employment Transitions survey to be run in 2011 - Professor Marian Baird and Alexandra Heron
- Submission to the Australian Government in response to the policy statement on Paid Parental Leave: Dad and Partner Pay, by Professor Marian Baird and Professor Andrew Stewart