Postgraduate Research Studies
For general enquiries please contact the Business School Research Unit.
Minimum Entry Requirements
Doctor of Philosophy
- Undergraduate degree with an Australian university First or Second class (Division One) Honours or equivalent in the proposed field of study from a recognised University..
- Masters degree with at least an 80% average and a 25% research thesis component in the proposed field of study from a recognised University.
- Other factors taken into consideration when assessing a research application are the quality of the research proposal and the availability of a supervisor within the School.
Master of Philosophy
- Undergraduate degree plus a postgraduate degree with at least 75% average in the proposed field of study from a recognised University.
- Demonstration of research potential either by publication, previous work experience or related coursework
- Other factors taken into consideration when assessing a research application are the quality of the research proposal, and the availability of a supervisor within the School.
Applicants must submit a research proposal as part of their application. This should be a written proposal (minimum of 1500 words) detailing the proposed area of research, the methodology to be used, data sources and bibliography. Prospective applicants who are unsure about their research proposal may contact the appropriate Postgraduate Coordinator for a preliminary evaluation.
Resources available to assist you to structure a research proposal include The University of Sydney Learning Centre's Writing A Thesis Proposal
English Language Requirements for International Students
- All International students must meet the following English language requirements: IELTS 7.0 (with a minimum of 6.5 in each band)
- TOEFL 600+ (e at 4.5+) or CBT 250+ (essay 4.5+) or IBT 100+ (writing band 23 and no band below 22).
- If a degree has been completed within the last 5 years and was taught, assessed and examined in English there is no need to provide an IELTS or TOEFL score.
Apply for a research degree
To apply for a research degree please go to the applications webpage.
- All transcripts including copies of the grading scale used
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae which includes research experience
- Research Proposal
- Proof that an academic in the Business School has agreed to supervise
- 2 academic referee reports
- For local applicants proof of citizenship or permanent residence
Application closing dates
- Research Period 2 - 30 October
- Research Period 3 - 30 April
- Research Period 2 - 31 October for applicants applying for scholarships or 30 November for those not applying for scholarships.
- Research Period 3 - 31 May
- Only complete applications can be processed. Applications that have been received but that remain incomplete at the closing date will be considered for the next semester intake.
- No extension of the above deadlines is possible. Applications received after the published closing dates will automatically be assessed for the next intake.