LA Placement Program
By submitting an application you agree to the following program conditions:
Selection criteria and application process
- You must be currently enrolled in a University of Sydney Business School undergraduate degree (including combined degrees).
- You must have completed (or will complete by the end of 2014) at least 96 credit points of your degree.
- You must be able to accommodate 18 credit points as part of your degree.
- Applications will only be received via the online application form.
- Applications close on 22 August 2014 at 5pm.
- The University of Sydney Business School will administer all applications and enquiries for the program. Correspondence and applications should be directed solely to the Business School and will not be received by the United States Studies Centre (USSC) or the University of California Los Angeles.
Units of study
- All successful applicants will enrol in a total of three units of study: BUSS2501 LA Placement Program (enrolled via the University of Sydney Business School) and two UCLA Extension units: Doing Business in the U.S. and Leadership Communication and Strategies.
- Upon successful completion, students will receive a total of 18 credit points towards their degree. (6cp for BUSS2501, and 12cp from UCLA Extension units). Please note: the credit from UCLA Extension units will be unspecified electives, and will not count towards any of your majors or specialisations.
- Placements will take place from 5 January to 5 March 2015. Students will return to Sydney for the second week of semester.
- Successful applicants will be placed within a business, government, not for profit or media organisation for a period of nine weeks.
- As far as possible, the Business School and US Studies Centre will allocate placements according to a student's educational background and interests. However this is dependent on availability and it cannot be guaranteed that all roles will be directly related to a specific area of study.
- Students will work four days a week, Monday through to Thursday.
- All placements are unpaid.
- Students must not attempt to facilitate work placement arrangements in the US on their own.
- The University of Sydney, United States Studies Centre, University of California Los Angeles and host organisations, require all students to perform their respective duties in a professional manner and to abide by the normal work ethics and conditions as set by the host organisations.
- No student shall misrepresent the University of Sydney, United States Studies Centre, University of California Los Angeles or host organisation in any way. Inappropriate use of the institution's name and resources, either professionally or otherwise may result in the immediate termination of the student from the program.
- The University of Sydney, United States Studies Centre, University of California Los Angeles, and host organisations are entitled to remove any student from the program deemed to seriously misrepresent any of these organisations or the program as a whole.
Visa and travel arrangements
- Students are responsible for their visa application and lodgement costs. Details on costs for an F-1 visa are available through the Embassy of the United States.
- All students must pay the SEVIS fee prior to booking an interview at the US Embassy or Consulate. See the US Student and Exchange Visitor Program website.
- Students are responsible for their own travel arrangements to and from LA. Students must arrive in LA on 4 January 2015 to check-in to their accommodation.
- Two compulsory pre-departure sessions will be held on 14 October and 26 November.
- A deposit of A$1000 is due by 19 September 2014.
- The full program fees are due no later than 14 November 2014.
- Students are responsible for additional costs including visas, return airfares and transfers, food and entertainment and any
other associated costs.
- The United States Studies Centre will organise the accommodation.
- As a participant of the program students agree that photographs or film recordings taken in connection with the LA Placement Program may be used for marketing purposes by the University of Sydney, the United States Studies Centre or the University of California Los Angeles Extension.
- For the full duration of the program students must agree to abide by the US law in relation to the legal age for the consumption of alcohol.