19th Annual Labour Law Conference, 1 August
02 Feb 2011
Researchers and practitioners to debate key issues confronting labour law at annual Labour Law Conference
Leading labour law and industrial relations researchers and practitioners will debate key issues confronting labour law at the 19th Annual Labour Law Conference to be held in Australia on Monday 1 August.
The 19th Annual Labour Law Conference is presented conjointly by the Workplace Research Centre and the Sydney Law School at the University of Sydney and will see labour law experts gathered in one room for one day ready to impart their knowledge and answer any questions on the key Labour Law issues.
This year's International keynote speaker is Professor Judy Fudge, Lansdowne Chair in Law, Faculty of Law, University of Victoria, Canada. In 2009, Professor Fudge received the Bora Laskin National Fellowship in Human Rights for her research project: "Labour Rights as Human Rights: Unions, Women, and Migrants". She has worked extensively with women's groups and unorganized workers, and has been involved in law reform efforts to obtain greater equality and democracy for the most marginalised workers. Judy will be speaking about 'Impact of Labour Market Informalisation on Labour Law', and will give us a global perspective.
To provide a local perspective on these and other challenges, Joel Fetter, Policy and Industrial Director, ACTU will be discussing the Labour Law Challenges facing Australian Workers in 2011.
As in previous years the 19th Annual Labour Law Conference will address a number of significant labour law issues including:
- Sham Contracting - Leigh Johns, Australian Building and Construction Commissioner
- State of Executive Contracts and Executive Pay - Jennifer Hill, Professor of Corporate Law, Sydney Law School, University of Sydney
- Discrimination - Graeme Innes AM, Disability Discrimination Commissioner and Race Discrimination Commissioner
- Bullying and Harassment - Michael Harmer, Chairman and Senior Team Leader, Harmers Workplace Lawyers
- How companies are responding to the Fair Work System - Joellen Riley, Professor of Labour Law, Sydney Law School, University of Sydney
- Unions and collective bargaining
Rae Cooper, Research Fellow, University of Sydney
John O'Brien, Head of Industrial Relations, National Australia Bank
- An OHS Update - Directors and officers liability issues - Ingmar Taylor, Barrister, State Chambers
- An OHS Update - An update on the Harmonisation of OHS laws - Michael Tooma, Partner, Norton Rose
This is a must attend conference for all lawyers, HR and IR practitioners, policy makers, researchers and government officials and a limited amount of tickets are still available for the conference.
For more information about the conference or for a media pass please contact Karen Treacy. The full program is available.
Date: 1st August, 2011
Time: 9am - 5pm
Venue: Hilton Sydney
Price: $900 inc gst
Events Coordinator, Workplace Research Centre
The University of Sydney Business School
P 61 2 9351 5624 or E firstname.lastname@example.org