Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Student Campus Card?

Your University of Sydney Student Campus Card is your University ID card. You need to carry your Student Campus Card with you at all times while you are on campus and display it when you sit formal examinations.

Why do I need a Student Campus Card?

Your Student Campus Card serves to identify you as a student of this University.

You can also use it for:

  • travel concessions (subject to eligibility)
  • borrowing library books
  • student discounts
  • after-hours access to buildings (with relevant faculty staff approval).

I've just enrolled. How do I get my Student Campus Card?

After you submit your enrolment online you will be provided with information on how to upload a passport-style photograph so you can apply for a travel concession if you are eligible.
You need to complete these steps within 72 hours of finalising your enrolment.
All images submitted need to be approved by Campus Cards, so please make sure that you check the photographic guidelines.

Once you have completed your travel concession declaration and successfully uploaded your photo, we will send an email to your University email address, advising you where and when you can collect your card.

To collect your card you need to bring one form of photo identification, such as a driver’s licence, passport or NSW Photo Card.

A full list of processes for all students is available at How do I get my card

I'm having problems with my online photo submission when trying to get my student campus card. What can I do?

Check to see if you are getting any of the following errors. If your problem is different from those listed below, please contact the Campus Cards on 9351 2423.

When I try to do my photo submission online I receive the error ‘No SID found’
This message typically appears if you are not enrolled in any subjects for the semester. If this is the case, you do not have to submit your photo online for this semester.

However, if you are enrolled in subjects for this semester and are still receiving this error, there may be a problem with your enrolment and you should contact the Student Centre.

When I try to do my photo submission online I receive the message ‘Your session has timed out’
This error is typically caused by old and incorrect cookies and cache saved by your internet browser. You can easily clear this by following our instructions on cleaning cache and cookies. If it’s still not working, it could be caused by an incorrect time zone, date or time on your computer.

If you need help in either clearing your cache and cookies, or correctly setting your date and time settings feel free to contact the ICT Helpdesk on 9351 6000.
If you have already cleared cache and cookies and ensured your date and time settings are correct please contact the Campus Cards on 9351 2423.

When I try to do my photo submission online I can't seem to see the button to do so, or during submission the cropping tool is not working correctly and not letting me continue
Firstly, make sure you are using the most recent version of Microsoft Silverlight. We also recommend using Internet Explorer for this submission. Once resized, the cropping tool should be located within the border of the scanned image.

If you're still having difficulties you can visit one of our ICT Access Labs on campus where our computers have a known working configuration to upload your photo.

I am using a Mac computer and having difficulty uploading my photo online.

There are a few known issues with the photo portal’s functionality for Mac users.

Silverlight does not work in Chrome on Macs. On recent versions of MAC OS, Apple has added some security (sandbox) features that can prevent Silverlight from working as expected. To work around the problem you can allow Silverlight to run outside the sandbox for the sites you trust as follows:

  1. Open Safari to the Silverlight enabled website (the photo portal)
  2. Open Safari > Preferences
  3. Select the “Security” tab
  4. Make sure the “Allow Plug-ins” checkbox is checked
  5. Click the “Manage Website Settings” button
  6. Select “Silverlight” in the plug-in list on the left
  7. Click the pull-down for the Silverlight enabled website and choose “Run in Unsafe mode”
  8. In the alert, click “Trust”
  9. Click the “Done” button
  10. Close the “Preferences” panel
  11. Reload the page

My student campus card has been lost or stolen. How can I get a replacement card?

If you have lost your student campus card or think it has been stolen, you can arrange a replacement card by attending the Campus Cards counter at the Student Centre. Please note there is a fee of $25 to replace your card, which you can pay by EFTPOS, credit card, cheque or money order.

Camperdown Campus:
Campus Cards at the Student Centre, Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building G02
Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm

You will need to bring photo identification with you to obtain your replacement card (driver's licence, passport or NSW Photo Card)

Further information can be found at Caring for your card

I've changed my name. Do I need to get a new student card?

Yes. Once your online change of name request has been processed at the Student Centre on Camperdown Campus or Student Central at Cumberland Campus, you will need to get a new student card with your updated name details on it.

To collect a replacement student card, take your photo-identification to:

Camperdown Campus:
Campus Cards at the Student Centre, Level 3 Jane Foss Russell Building
Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm

There is no fee to replace your student card for a change of name.

How do I replace my travel concession as well?

If eligible, your updated travel concession card will also be given to you with your replacement card

Am I eligible for a travel concession?

You are advised to visit the Transport for NSW website for any travel concession eligibility enquiries. If you are eligible to receive a travel concession on your Student Campus Card, please visit the Campus Cards counter at the Student Centre.

I have re-enrolled but haven't received my new student campus card yet. Why?

From 2014, your Student Campus Card became valid for the duration of your enrolment, so re-enrolling students no longer receive a new card each year. If you have lost your student card, you can obtain a replacement at cost at the Campus Cards counter at the Student Centre.

Why didn't I get a travel concession?

There are several reasons why you may not have been issued with a travel concession:

  • you are not a full-time domestic student (Australian citizen or permanent resident)
  • you were not enrolled in sufficient units of study (subjects) to be considered full time when your card was issued
  • you are a fee-paying international student; or
  • when you enrolled online, you did not complete the online travel concession declaration.

If you believe you are entitled to a travel concession, please enquire at:

Camperdown Campus:
Campus Cards at the Student Centre, Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building G02
Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm

Cumberland Campus:
Student Central, F Block
Monday to Friday, 10am – 4pm

For further information about eligibility visit the Transport for NSW website.

International students

International students are not eligible for a travel concession, but are eligible for certain travel discounts. Please see the Card Centre website for further information.

I've successfully uploaded my photo, but can't collect my student campus card on the dates advised. What should I do?

If you can’t collect your card on the advised dates, you can pick it up from the Campus Cards counter in the Student Centre throughout semester. Please note that cards aren’t available before the advised collection dates.

If you are a remote or distance student who does not attend campus, you must submit the Request To Post application form with a certified copy of your photo identification.

Do I need photo identification to collect my new or replacement student campus card in person?

Yes. When you collect a new or replacement student campus card, you need to show photo-identification, such as your passport, driver's licence or NSW photo card.

Lost or stolen replacement cards cost $25, while travel concession cards cost $28 to replace from the Passes and Concessions office (with an authorised form from Campus Cards).

I've enrolled using a different variation of my legal name than on my identification. Can I still collect my card?

No. The identification you present when collecting your card must match your student record. You may amend your name details by placing a Change of Name request online in Sydney Student and lodging your documentation with the Student Centre in the Jane Foss Russell Building. Once the change has been processed you may contact Campus Cards to confirm that a replacement may be obtained.

When does my student campus card expire?

From 2014, your Student Campus Card became valid for the duration of your enrolment, so re-enrolling students no longer receive a new card each year.
The expiry date of your student campus card depends on whether you will be finishing your degree this year or whether you will be continuing with your degree next year.
If you are finishing your degree this year, your student campus card will expire as soon as all the requirements of your degree have been fulfilled.

I'm enrolled by distance mode. How do I get a student campus card?

If you are not attending campus to enrol or to study and you reside outside the Sydney metropolitan area, you can apply for a student campus card by completing and posting the Off-Campus Student Card application form. Student campus cards will not be sent if the application is incomplete.

Can I still use my student campus card for borrowing books if I take a semester off?

No. If you take a semester off from your studies, you will not be a currently enrolled student and therefore will not be able to use the facilities on campus, including borrowing books from the Library.
If you are an Honours, Postgraduate or intending Masters student in this circumstance and need to borrow books, you may be entitled to a temporary library borrowers card by submitting the Postgraduate and Honours Students Borrower’s card application form which has been signed by both your Thesis Supervisor or Coursework Coordinator and the Head of Department.

How can I retrieve the funds from my 2013 Student Card Prepaid Visa functionality?

Visa prepaid functionality expired in March 2014.
You will not be able to use the card after the expiry date. If your card has expired with funds remaining on the card, you will need to contact ANZ to arrange for a refund to be made directly into an Australian bank account or by another agreed method.

See contact details for ANZ