Student Campus Cards

Your University of Sydney Student Campus Card is your University ID card. You need to carry your card with you at all times while you are on campus and display it when you sit formal examinations.

From 2014, student cards became valid for the duration of your enrolment at the University of Sydney.

Please note that your first student card is free, a fee only applies to replacement of lost, stolen or damaged cards

Why do I need a student campus card?

Your card identifies you as a student of the University of Sydney.

It also gives you access to a range of services, including the University libraries, access to certain buildings (with faculty approval), and travel concessions (if you are eligible).

The card features an embedded chip that will give you access to the contactless card readers being installed across our campuses in the coming years.

How do I get my card?

New students

2015 New Enrolment Students
The University has now moved to a new online student administration service, Sydney Student.

After you enrol online you must submit a passport style photograph as soon as possible to avoid delays in obtaining your student card. Information regarding enrolment is available at

Once your photo is approved, we will email you when your card is ready to collect. You must bring your photo identification, such as passport or driver's licence, to collect your card.

Your card will be valid for the duration of your enrolment at the University of Sydney.

Continuing student enrolment

From 2014 your student card became valid for the duration of your enrolment at the University of Sydney.

You will no longer be issued a new card each year. This means you need take care of your card and retain it while you are enrolled at the University of Sydney.

Travel concessions are valid until the end of March the following year unless you withdraw or suspend your studies.

Your library barcode is now on the front of your card for easy access.

Are you returning after a leave of absence?

If you are returning to the University after a leave of absence and did not receive a card in 2014 you will need to apply for a student card.

You can apply online following these steps:

1. Log into Sydney Student using your UniKey and password

2. Go to My Studies > Enrolment

3. Submit your passport-style photograph for approval

Once your photo has been approved we will email you when your card is ready to collect. Please bring with you photo identification, such as a passport or driver's license, to collect your card at the Campus Cards counter at the Student Centre, Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building.

Photographic guidelines

  • Photos must not be more than six months old
  • Passport style, good quality colour with no marks on image
  • Plain background
  • Appropriate brightness and contrast and show your skin tones naturally

The photograph must:

  • Show complete head and neck
  • Show you looking straight at the camera (no tilted head)
  • Be taken with a natural expression (not laughing or frowning)
  • Show your eyes open and clearly visible (no hair in eyes).

Head coverings
The photograph must show you without any hat or other head covering, except for religious reasons
If you wear a head covering for religious reasons a photograph will be accepted but your facial features must be clearly shown.

Photo Guidelines

Remote/distance students

If you are enrolled as a distance student or you reside outside the Sydney metropolitan area and are unable to collect your card in person, once you have successfully uploaded your photo online you can apply to have your student card posted by completing the Request To Post application form. (Please note, students enrolling during the mid-year enrolment period at remote campus locations can also complete this form).

You will need to attach to the form:

  • A certified copy of your passport or driver licence or NSW Photo Card.

Certification can be done by:

  • your faculty administrator,
  • your course coordinator,
  • a Justice of the Peace, or
  • Notary Public

Send all requested documentation to:

Campus Cards, Student Centre
Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building G02
University of Sydney NSW 2006

Summer/winter school students

If you are enrolled in a summer or winter school, or non-award unit of study, you can apply for a library card for the duration of your course.

You must bring your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) and your photo identification, such as passport or drivers licence, to obtain your card from the Campus Cards counter at the Student Centre.

I've varied my enrolment. What do I do?

You do not need to obtain a new Student Campus Card if you have either varied your enrolment or transferred to a different course. Domestic students are advised if your enrolment has changed from full-time to part-time, you will no longer be eligible for a travel concession. You must return your card for a free replacement without concession.

If you are a domestic student and your attendance has increased to full-time or if you are now a permanent resident of Australia and studying full-time, please visit the Campus Cards counter at the Student Centre to apply for a travel concession, if eligible.

You will need to bring:

  • Your existing Student Campus Card
  • Photo identification (passport, driver licence or NSW Photo Card)

Travel concession

NSW Tertiary Student Concessions are issued to students who meet the eligibility criteria specified by Transport for NSW. A travel concession entitles you to half fare tickets on most public transport services in NSW. Further information and guidelines can be found at the Transport NSW website.

NSW Tertiary Student Concessions are issued at the beginning of each academic year and are affixed to your student card. They remain valid until 31 March the following year unless you withdraw or suspend your studies.

Continuing students must submit a new declaration each year to obtain a travel concession on their student card.

New students will have the opportunity to declare their eligibility for a concession when they upload their photograph online for their student card during enrolment.

Travel concessions are valid until the end of March the following year unless you withdraw or suspend your studies. Students will need to enrol full-time for both semesters and meet the eligibility requirements to receive a student card with a travel concession. For students enrolled in one semester only, a tertiary student concession card will be issued in person at the Campus Cards counter.

Student cards showing the travel concession logo should always be carried when using concession fares or when buying a ticket.

If you are entitled to a transport concession your signature on your student card indicates your agreement to abide by the conditions of use as published by the relevant transport authorities. For the conditions of use and eligibility requirements for travel concession please refer to the Transport NSW website.

You must not obtain student concession travel if you do not comply with the eligibility conditions. If you cease studies prior to the card expiry date, you must return your concession card to Campus Cards immediately.

If you provide false information or breach any of the conditions you could be rendered liable for prosecution.

Travel discounts for International Students

You can now purchase discounted MyMulti2 and MyMulti3 public transport tickets. All discounted tickets can be used for travel to and from a place of study as well as recreational travel, providing savings of up to 35 per cent.

To obtain the codes required to order your ticket, simply login to MyUni and follow the link provided.

Once you have received the codes you can proceed to purchase your MyMulti ticket online, visit Transport for NSW travel discount website

Find step-by-step instructions on how to order your ticket here

Replacement Student Campus Cards and travel concessions

If your Student Campus Card has been lost or stolen you can obtain a replacement from the Campus Card Centre. You will need to provide photo identification (passport, driver licence or NSW Photo Card). The cost of replacing your Student Campus Card is $25.

Replacement cards do not automatically contain secure building access. Please visit the Services Building (G12) to have your new card encoded.

Please note: Campus Cards only takes payment by credit card, EFTPOS, cheque or money order, and does not accept cash.

If you are a distance student who is unable to attend the Campus Cards counter in person, you may apply by submitting the following form, including all required documentation (please allow one week for processing).
Off-Campus Student Card application form.

Payment for the card may be made online. Online payments will be processed the next business day.

If you are eligible for a replacement travel concession, a form is available at the Campus Cards counter. The form must be endorsed by the Campus Cards and $28 is payable to the Passes & Concessions Office.

Passes & Concessions Counter
Rail Information Centre
Grand Concourse
Central Railway Station, Sydney
Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 4.00pm
(Cash, EFTPOS and credit cards accepted)

By mail:
Passes & Concessions
Locked Bag 5085
Parramatta NSW 2124
(Cheque/money order/credit card)

Damaged cards

If your card is damaged, you can have a new card issued by Campus Cards on presentation of your old card. You will need to provide photo identification such as driver licence or passport. A fee of $25 may apply for replacement of a damaged card.

Replacement cards are issued after semester begins.

Caring for your card

Your student card contains an internal mechanism that will allow you to access the buildings across campus that are currently being installed with contactless readers, as well as magnetic stripe technology. This mechanism is located around the internal perimeter of your card, and can be damaged if:

  • The card is cracked in any way.
  • A hole is punched through the card.
  • The card is bent in any way.

Such damage can be avoided by:

  • Using an appropriate card holder, available to purchase from Campus Cards.
  • Not storing the card in your pocket.
  • Avoiding excessive heat exposure.

From 2014, your student card will be valid for the duration of your enrolment at the University of Sydney, so it is important to handle it with care.

Please note that a $25 replacement fee may incur for cards damaged through improper care.