2015 POSTGRADUATE CANCER RESEARCH SYMPOSIUM
The 7th Annual Postgraduate Cancer Research Symposium gives postgraduate students the opportunity to present their research to other students and academics from all disciplines across the University of Sydney. Come and see the wide range of research being carried out and network with fellow students and researchers.
DATE AND TIME
9.00am - 5.00pm
Friday, 5 December 2015
VENUE AND LOCATION
New Law Building
The University of Sydney (Camperdown campus)
Download a map (reference F10)
Registration is FREE and open to all University of Sydney students and staff.
The Symposium is an exciting opportunity to hear first-hand about recent findings from our next generation of cancer researchers. It will be of interest to:
- Postgraduate students
- Undergraduate/Honours students
- Academic staff
- General staff
Submit an abstract
Together with registration, postgraduate research students are invited to submit original unpublished work in the area that reflects their thesis at a Masters or PhD level in cancer research.
Abstract submission closes on 27 August 2015.
SUBMIT AN ABSTRACT
Abstract submission guidelines
- The submitter must be currently enrolled as a postgraduate research student at the University of Sydney and their thesis must have a cancer research focus.
- Abstracts should be no more than 300 words, clear, concise and with correct spelling and good sentence structure.
- Submissions should contain complete results, however if this is not feasible, please focus on the research goal and methodology. The research should primarily be the result of student research and must be presented by the student author.
- The title should be as brief as possible; preferably one line.
- The main (presenting) author's name should be marked with an asterisk (*)
- It is recommended that abstracts include a background, methods, results and conclusions.
- To avoid a loss of formatting of figures and mathematical symbols write out any special characters (including Greek characters) in your text.
- Tables must not be included.
Abstracts will be reviewed by a committee and will be selected on a competitive basis. Submissions will be judged on originality, technical strength, significance, quality of research, and interest and relevance to the meeting delegates.
Students will be notified of the outcome of their abstract submission in late September 2015.
The program will feature work across the whole cancer research continuum – basic science, public health, clinical and psychosocial. It will also present novel research from range of cancer types.
A draft program will be available after abstract submission closes.
CANCER RESEARCH NETWORK STUDENT AWARDS
To be awarded to the most outstanding student presenter within each of program sessions.*
The recipients of these awards will receive $200 each. This prize money must be used for the recipient’s continued cancer research or to fund travel to a cancer-related conference.
The Awards Ceremony will take place at the conclusion of the meeting.
*The structure of these awards is subject to change pending the number and type of abstracts submitted.
May 2015: Abstract submission & registration opens
27 August 2015: Abstract submission closes
Late September 2015: Notification of abstract acceptance
27 November 2015: Registration closes
5 December 2015: Postgraduate Symposium
Sarah Frost - Chair (Westmead, Discipline of Paediatrics & Child Heath, Medicine)
Monira Hoque (Camperdown, Pharmacy)
Indhu Subramanian (Northern, Medicine)
Adam Walczak (Camperdown, Psycho-oncology)
Belinda Wright (Camperdown, Veterinary Science)
Jasmine Yee (Lidcombe, Health Sciences)
Juliana Andrici (Camperdown, Medicine)
Ali Azimi (Westmead, Medicine)
Rebecca Mercieca-bebber (Camperdown, Medicine)
Tomas Richardson-Sanchez (Camperdown, Science)
Rosita Pang (Camperdown, Science)
Merilyn Heuschkel (Cancer Research Network)
Cancer Research Network
Phone: 02 8627 1532