The key to successful performance at an interview is preparation.
Research and rehearse!
Devote time prior to any interview to the following:
- Find out all you can about the industry, the organisation and the job in order to convince the employer that you want the job, you are capable of performing the job, and you would fit with the organisations' culture. Use the internet, industry publications, the university library's resource guide for researching organisations and industries, and personal contacts.
- Reflect on your skills and past achievements. Employers expect candidates to know what they have to offer and to provide evidence of their value to the organisation and role.
- Research best practice interview techniques and attend careers centre interview workshops.
- Rehearse answers to commonly asked interview questions.
- Interview Simulator - practice your interview skills in real time, record your answers and compare your responses against video advice from employers.
- Ensure everything about your appearance reflects your professionalism and attention to detail, i.e. clean suit, polished shoes, neat hair and nails.
- Be on time, and make sure your mobile phone is turned off.
- Prepare some well thought out questions to ask the interviewer that help to demonstrate your interest in the role and your initiative.
- Smile, maintain eye contact and confident posture and body language.
- Avoid rushing your answers, take your time and remember to breathe!