The key to successful performance at an interview is preparation.
Research and rehearse!
Devote time prior to any interview to the following:
- find out all you can about the industry, the organisation and the job role. Use the internet, newspapers, related publications and personal contacts to assist you.
- reflect on your skills and past achievements. Employers expect candidates to know what they have to offer and to provide evidence of their value to the organisation and role.
- research best practice interview techniques and attend careers centre interview workshops.
- rehearse answers to commonly asked interview questions.
- Ensure everything about your appearance reflects your professionalism and attention to detail, i.e. clean suit, polished shoes, neat hair and nails.
- Be on time, and make sure your mobile phone is turned off.
- Prepare some well thought out questions to ask the interviewer that help to demonstrate your interest in the role and your initiative.
- Smile, maintain eye contact and confident posture and body language.
- Avoid rushing your answers, take your time and remember to breathe!