Graduate Profile - Anthony Gray
Name: Anthony Gray
What degree/s did you study and when did you graduate?
I graduated from Sydney University in 2007 with a combined degree and First Class Honours in Law and Economics.
Where do you currently work (sector/organisation) and what is your position title?
I joined Port Jackson Partners as a Business Analyst at the end of 2008. I had never considered a career in management consulting until the last year of my degree, when after working for a major corporate law firm it became clear that a career in law wasn't for me. With an interest in commerce and business strategy, I started considering management consulting as an alternate career path. The more I looked into it the more appealing it seemed – given my uncertainty about what I actually wanted to do with myself, the variety and range of experiences which management consulting offered was particularly attractive.
Please describe a few typical tasks or projects that your perform in your role. What do you enjoy most about your work?
Since joining Port Jackson Partners I have worked on a number of challenging and important projects across a wide variety of industries, including:
- Working for a leading Australian integrated energy company across a range of matters, including developing a retail strategy for the client to establish a differentiated market position in an evolving Australian energy market;
- Developed a strategic plan for a bulge-bracket international investment bank looking to expand into Australia, including a full review of the Australian financial sector;
- An international M&A deal for a leading Australian industrial company looking to expand overseas through a series of offshore acquisitions;
- Targeted regional growth strategy for Australian business looking to increase their presence in high growth areas of Australia;
- Working to develop the corporate strategy for one of the leading global resource companies
The matters we work on are also typically issues that have wider significance and a broad public impact. It is very satisfying to see the work you have been doing getting a positive response in the public domain.
In your experience, which skills are highly valued by employers in your field?
Port Jackson Partners is a very people oriented firm. This means that a high value is placed on teamwork here. This definitely suits me as not only do I enjoy being in a team environment but I find this to be a much more engaging and productive way to work. There is a very collegial and open culture where a large emphasis is placed on your development and you are given every opportunity to succeed. I was amazed at how quickly I was given responsibility in my projects – including engaging with key client executives and leading workstreams within the project very early on in my career.