Casual and part-time employment
If you have casual or part-time work available, the best way to promote your opportunity is to advertise for free on the Careers Centre database. University of Sydney students are enthusiastic for paid work to gain work experience and to develop their skills.
Your advertisement will be viewable to all University of Sydney students and appear in 'Job Alert' a daily email to subscribing students.
Who can advertise?
We publish a wide variety of casual work opportunities on the Careers Centre database. You might be looking for a tutor, nanny/babysitter, office assistant, paralegal, sales assistant, barista, graphic designer/web developer or something else all together.
Recruiting students for research
Researchers looking for volunteers may advertise on our database if approved by the Research Integrity Group. Before you lodge an advertisement, email your approval reference and your advertisement text to
How do I advertise?
To upload your job advertisement:
- log in to the Careers Centre employer database if you don't have a username you'll need to request a new account
- click 'job ads' and fill out the form
- agree to our advertising terms and conditions
- submit your advertisement for review by the Careers Centre.
Am I a private employer?
When you register for an employer account on the Careers Centre database, you can register as a company or as a private employer. If you are looking to hire a University of Sydney student to work for your business (for example, an office or a retail outlet), you will need to register as a company. The private employer section is for individuals looking to pay a student for work such as tutoring, cleaning or child care work.
If you're not sure whether you are a company or a private employer, contact the Careers Centre on (02) 8627 8403.
It is free to advertise on our jobs database.
Tips and hints
Advertisements that are informative about the employer and role tend to get better results. We also recommend the following:
- check the Fair Work website if you're not sure what rate of pay to offer
- include a way for students to apply for the position (for example, via email) in the body of your advertisement text
- avoid using discriminatory or insensitive language more information is available from the NSW Equal Employment Opportunity website
- if you want to make sure an applicant is a student at the University, ask them to show you their student ID card.
How long will my ad be active for?
The default closing date for casual jobs ads is two weeks from the posting date. All casual jobs can be extended for a maximum of one month from the initial posting date. You can extend your job ad’s closing date through the Careers Centre database.
Closing job ads
When your vacancy is filled you can log in to the Careers Centre database to close the job ad. Students will not be able to view your ad once you deactivate it.
For help submitting an advertisement, contact the Industry Development Team:
T: (02) 8627 8408