Job advertising on the web
Advertise on Sydney CareerHub
Promote your casual work, graduate or internship opportunity with an advertisement on Sydney CareerHub free of charge. Your advertisement will be viewable to all University of Sydney students. You can also target alumni (up to five years after graduation).
If you advertise through the Careers Centre you will need to agree to our advertising terms and conditions.
We are unable to advertise unpaid internship, work experience or volunteer positions unless:
- the position fulfills part of a University curriculum and has faculty approval (email your faculty approval to us ), or
- it is a one-off volunteer position with a registered not-for-profit organisation.
We are also unable to advertise:
- unpaid work for businesses, including unpaid internships and work experience, unpaid training, unpaid trial periods, or pay below award e.g. stipends (unpaid work for a business may only be offered through faculty, for course credit). Our unpaid and volunteering work info sheet has alternatives or contact the Careers Centre for assistance,
- employment requiring the purchase of products or services, including application and program fees, or a security deposit, e.g. work and travel opportunities.
Our unpaid and volunteering work info brochure has essential information for employers wishing to offer unpaid work including alternative suggestions. You can also contact the Careers Centre for assistance.
Submit an advertisement
To upload your job advertisement:
- log into Sydney CareerHub
- place your job ad
- agree to our advertising terms and conditions
- submit your advertisement for review by the Careers Centre.
Graduate and full time opportunities are displayed for a maximum of two months. Casual/part-time roles are best displayed for 2-3 weeks then renewed if still available. If your position is filled before the application closing date please log into Sydney CareerHub and withdraw your ad.
What to include in your advertisement
We've found there is generally a better response to advertisements that are clear and informative. The following information is important to include:
- Job title: Make it attractive, and be sure your job title reflects the role you are advertising.
- Salary, Benefits & Location: Follow your title with three dot points highlighting the main benefits of the job, making sure to include details of the salary/pay and any unique offerings. It is also useful in this section to note where the role is based and how accessible it is. For pay rate/basis of payment visit the Fair Work online website for pay rates and other employment conditions, or call their help line on 13 13 94
- Role Summary: In the body of your ad summarise the primary purpose of the role and where it fits in to the company. The summary is important is this is what appears in searches.
- Skills & Experience: To ensure you get the most relevant applicants, be clear about the “essential” and “desirable” skills, qualifications and experience a candidate needs in order to be successful in the role.
- Company Summary: Conclude your ad by painting a picture of why people enjoy working in this company.
- How to apply and closing date for applications
- Providing a phone number or email address for enquiries can help you eliminate unsuitable candidates early on in the process.
- Asking for a cover letter allows you to filter out unsuitable candidates prior to interview, providing useful clues as to character, education level, and communication style.
- Manage timeline expectations by adding relevant information at the bottom of your ad eg. “Applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted by September 20, 2016.”
It is free to advertise on Sydney CareerHub
For greater promotion of your opportunities, consider:
- sending a targeted email-out to the students you wish to recruit
- booking a booth at a careers fair if you are promoting a graduate or internship program.
For help submitting an advertisement or more information, contact the Industry Development Team:
T: (02) 8627 8408