International students

What do I need to know about working while I study?

You can work up to 20 hours per week during semester and unlimited hours during university holidays. Visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website to view the full details.

If you were granted a Student visa on or after 26 April 2008 Permission to Work is automatically included with your visa.

Do Australian graduate employers recruit international students?

Generally graduate employers only recruit applicants with Australian Citizenship or Permanent Residency (PR). However, depending on labour market need, employers may elect to recruit students without PR. Early each year visit the websites of graduate employers to check on their graduate employment terms. You can also view current jobs and their employer terms and conditions by logging into CareerHub. It is important to know that employers value part-time and casual work during your degree.

It is still a good idea to approach graduate recruiters to apply for part time or temporary work in order to gain experience. Also, if you're not sure if PR or citizenship is required then contact the employer directly to enquire.

How can I improve my employment prospects in Australia?

Number 1 on the list of what employers want is communication skills. To improve your chances of employment focus on developing strong English language skills, refer to our Advice to International Students handout for a list of suggested ways to do this.

Take time and care when writing your resume to ensure you demonstrate solid written communication skills. Spelling and grammar errors on your resume could disqualify you immediately.

The Career Development Program for international students provides the opportunity for International Students to learn more about the Australian workplace and local employer expectations through attending seven interactive career skills workshops. After completing all seven workshops international students will receive a Certificate of Completion. The program may assist students to demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach, qualities highly regarded by many Australian employers.

Where can I find graduate programs and other graduate jobs in my home country?

There are a range of organisations that recruit international student graduates for graduate programs and other graduate roles in their home country. To find out more about these opportunities visit our Overseas Jobs page.

Graduate Connect Platform - Helping Go8 graduates secure jobs in China

The Go8 is the proud sponsor of a unique portal created by AustCham for Go8 graduates.

If you're a final year student or recent graduate from the University of Sydney, you are invited to register with the Go8-AustCham China Grad Search (CGS) Portal operated by AustCham. The tool is available to all Chinese graduates from Go8 Universities and to over 60,000 AustCham and CCOIC member companies

Using the CGS, you will be able to easily create a profile and upload your qualifications and experiences on to the online platform.

AustCham and CCOIC member companies can then search for top tier graduates and engage in conversations with you about job opportunities.

The service is free to both students and the potential employers.
For more information, and to register your interest, go to:

view more jobs for international students