Facebook and the Job Search
Despite having over 1 billion users worldwide, employers are generally not on Facebook searching for candidates. As a job seeker, protecting your privacy and personal brand should be your main concern.
Protecting your privacy on Facebook.
- Ensure that your privacy settings are the highest available. Some employers check profiles of potential employees, keep your photos and videos private.
- Employers may request Facebook passwords from potential candidates. What you do in this situation depends on your stance on privacy, and what you believe your employer should have access to.
- If you are tagged in photos that you might not want employers to see you in, remove the tag.
- If you are friends with any staff members at the organisation at which you are applying, “limit” the information they can see during the application/interview process.
- Always remember that your current or potential employer could see what you say and do on Facebook.