Career Development Program for International Students
The Careers Centre invites international students to be part of our Career Development Program aimed at assisting international students with their employability skills and with gaining a competitive edge in the Australian job search market.
The goal of the program is to enhance skills in key career development areas and will encompass information and knowledge of Australian workplace culture and Australian employers’ expectations. Benefits of the program include:
- Official Letter of Attendance if you attend 7 Career Development Program workshops within 12 months
- Improving your employability skills and career planning competencies within 6 to 12 months.
- Gaining a competitive edge within the Australian job search market.
- Increasing your awareness of the skills and qualities valued by Australian employers
Who is eligible to participate?
International students currently enrolled at Sydney University from all faculties, all degrees and all degree stages are eligible to participate in the Career Development Program. International students who begin the Program while enrolled can complete the program as a Graduate.
1. Register for the Career Development Program
Register at anytime during the year. Qualifying workshops that you've attended before registration will count towards the program.
2. Attend the following seven core program workshops within a 12 month period:
- International Students: Australian Resume Basics
- International Students: Cover Letters & Selection Criteria
- International Students: Job Search
- International Students: Interview Skills
- International Students: Professional Communication
- International Students: Transition to the Australian Workplace
- International Students: Career Planning
While we encourage you to attend the International Student workshops listed above, we realise it may difficult due to timetabling and other commitments. Some program workshops can be substituted with other Careers Centre workshops. Check the workshop descriptions to see if they qualify for the Career Development Program.
Register for Career Development Program workshops here.
3. You will be contacted at the end of the semester if you have qualified to receive a Letter of Attendance.
Attendance is recorded at each workshop. It is your responsibility to ensure that your Student ID card is scanned at each career skills workshop you wish to have credited towards the Program. If a Student ID card does not scan successfully, students are asked to sign an Attendance Sheet. Attendance data is uploaded to Sydney CareerHub within 5 working days of each workshop.
Students can track their workshop attendance by logging into Sydney CareerHub and checking under ‘My Event Bookings’ for the status “attended” next to workshop names.
Workshops attended previously can be credited towards the Career Development Program. Attendance must have been recorded via having your Student ID Card scanned at the event. Please note the 7 Career Development Program workshops must be attended within 12 months of the first workshop attendance date to receive the Letter of Attendance (e.g. If you attended an approved substitute workshop on 17 March 2014 and want it included in your Program attendance, you must attend all 7 Program workshops by 17 March 2015).
Workshops attended prior to Semester 1 2014 will not be included in the Program.
Career Development Program workshops will be offered in each semester. Additional workshops and catch up sessions will be scheduled later in the semester for students wanting to fast track their completion of the program or catch up sessions missed earlier in semester.