Frequently asked questions


Can I change from one program to another at CET?
You can change courses after you start. Talk to the Education Manager if you want to change. See pathways for a diagram of courses offered.

How much money do I need to live and study in Sydney?
You will need at least AUD$16,000 per year to cover accommodation and the other costs of living in Sydney. This does not include tuition (course) or health insurance fees or other study costs. For details of costs for study at CET, see the fees page.

How can I pay my fees?
You can pay CET by credit card (Mastercard / Visa), by AUD$ bank draft, or by telegraphic transfer. Your offer letter will explain how to make your payment.

Can I get a scholarship or financial assistance to study English?
CET offers a number of scholarships to help offset the cost of your English study. If you would like information about scholarships for studying a degree course at the University, .

What is your refund policy?
Please read the terms and conditions on the application form.


How do I find accommodation?
Accommodation can be arranged by our preferred providers who can help you find a homestay, homeshare, an apartment or room. They can also arrange temporary accommodation in a hotel when you first arrive in Sydney. All accommodation is off-campus but will be close to CET. Accommodation on campus is not available for English students. For more information on accommodation, see the accommodation section of the website.


How many weeks can I study at CET?
The shortest time you can study is for two weeks. You can study for up to 50 weeks in a year. See term dates for more information.

How many weeks of English study do I need?
The number of weeks you need depends on your current level of English, the level you wish to reach and how quickly you progress. You may wish to learn English for further study, for an exam, for professional development, for work or for travel. We will assess your application and advise you on which course you need.

What is the difference between Academic English courses and General English?
Academic English courses are designed to help you succeed in university or other tertiary studies: at The University of Sydney, another university, a TAFE institution or a business college. For more information, see Academic English courses.

General English aims to give you confidence to live and work in the English-speaking world. These courses also prepare you for Academic Language programs. The Cambridge certificates (FCE & CAE) focus on English as it is used in today's global environment.

For more information on our courses and dates follow the links below:

  1. University Pathway Programs
  2. Professional Pathway Programs
  3. Customised Programs
  4. Corporate Training
  5. Internship Program

Health care

What happens if I get sick?
The Australian government requires all holders of student visas to pay for health insurance in Australia through the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Scheme. This scheme is administered by OSHC Worldcare. You are insured for basic medical and hospital cover.
Health care will be arranged for students who have received a conditional offer from CET. You will be able to collect your Worldcare Assist health card from reception after you arrive at CET.


You can also visit The University of Sydney's Health Service website for more information.


Which English test should I take?
The English test you take will usually depend on what you would like to do when you finish English. If you wish to continue with formal studies or if you wish to use your language for career reasons, we offer the following:

  • IELTS - for entry to the University of Sydney or another university
  • Cambridge examinations - English for your career.

Work rights

What sort of visa do I need to study English at CET?
You can study for up 12 weeks if you have a tourist visa or for up to 17 weeks on a working holiday visa. For longer study, you need a student visa.

Can I work while I am studying at CET?
You can work part-time for up to 40 hours per fortnight while you study if you have a student visa. You need to apply to the Department of Immigration for a work permit after you arrive in Sydney. On a working holiday visa you can work part-time or full-time for up to 6 months with the same employer.

Visit the Department of Immigration website on work rights for more information