Standards to be met by CET Homestay Providers
The following standards must be met by approved Homestay Providers for CET:
This objective of the Homestay Service and of CET is to develop and enhance a ‘cultural experience’ through the Homestay opportunity for International students.
2. Homestay Fundamentals
- Ensure appropriate support and accommodation in an approved Homestay environment
- Enable the Student to experience the culture of the region in which they are studying
- Encourage the sharing of the Students’ own culture with their Homestay host
- Provide a structure for orientation, community interaction and network establishment for the student.
3. Minimum Standards
The University and CET are committed to helping raise the standards of Australian Homestay services. As such, they have made the decision to refer students and agents only to Homestay supervising organisations that meet minimum criteria as set out below. These Minimum Standards must be met by the approved Homestay providers as of 1 July 2013:
- An online portal which supplies individual logins for agents, hosts, students and institutions where appropriate ‘real time’ data and reports relating to current placements, arrivals and history can be accessed and monitored.
- A professional approach to ensuring that, independent of both The University of Sydney and the Supplier, there is appropriate and compulsory (guaranteed) provision of guardianship services for Younger Overseas Students as determined by The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 (Cth) and associated Regulations as amended from time to time.
- A professional approach to ensuring that the Supplier maintains an appropriate and compulsory (guaranteed) insurance cover for the Supplier and Homestay hosts and students as determined by CET from time to time and in line with industry expectations, including but not limited to:
- Policies of insurance as required in the University standard Agreement for Goods and Services.
- Host liability insurance of not less than $20,000,000 for any one occurrence and/or any one period of insurance that indemnifies Supplier for Supplier’s legal liability to pay all sums by way of compensation, and all costs awarded against Supplier in respect of personal injury, property damage, and advertising liability happening during the period of insurance and caused by an occurrence within the territorial limits in connection with Supplier’s business or activity as a host family for Supplier; and
- Students householders insurance covering students personal effects while residing at the premises of an accredited Supplier’s Homestay host and personal liability Australia-wide of not less than $20,000,000. This should include a special component for accidental damage within the host’s home and a contents and personal effects maximum of not less than $10,000.
5. Documented and guaranteed training for host families and supporting data to demonstrate the training has taken place.
6. A documented agreement to be signed by all host families outlining appropriate policies and the host obligations.
7. A documented and comprehensive approach to student orientation.
8. A student policy which guides student expectations and outlines responsibilities of the host family and Homestay Supplier.
9. A 24/7 Emergency and Critical incident phone support strategy which meets an acceptable and professional standard.
10. An ongoing strategy for the management and accountability of all payments made on behalf of the student to the Homestay host.
4. Functional Requirements
- Fixed Placement Fee and Boarding Fee for ILP and CET Students for at least 12 months.
- Placement Confirmation must be sent to CET Student no later than 2 weeks prior to Placement commencement.
- Provision of personalised host information showing background, interest, and contact details of the families prior to confirmation, in sufficient time to make alternative arrangements where families are deemed unsuitable.
- All Placements for CET Students should be made within MyMulti 1 zone (with no longer than 1 hour travel time to the University’s Camperdown/Darlington Campus).
- Host family pick up and drop off service on campus on arrival and departure days.
- Visit by agency representative for Homestay welfare check during week 1, preferably Day 4 (Thursday) for possible replacement or issue resolution, where required.
- Placement Fee will be paid upon Placement Confirmation, Boarding Fee will be paid 2 weeks prior to arrival of the Student (subject to confirmation of the hosts) and Host Travel Payment will be paid within two weeks of completion of the program.
- A single point of contact for all CET Student Placements.
- Full refund for any cancellation made 2 weeks or more prior to arrival of the Student, less the initial Placement Fee paid to the agency.