Before leaving home
Coming to Sydney to study is a very significant move, so it is important to make sure that you have everything prepared before you leave. A good guide is the International Student Guide prepared by City of Sydney.
Below is a checklist of things you should make sure you have before leaving:
- valid passport
- photocopies of passport
- student visa
- photocopies of visa
- passport photos
- travel documents (itinerary, tickets, travel insurance)
- all offer letters sent to you by the university
- receipts of payments of university fees
- certified copies of references, work/educational qualifications, scholarship letter (if applicable)
- identification such as certified copy of birth certificate, driver's licence, international drivers licence (if needed)
- credit cards, travellers cheques
- medical immunisation records
- a list of goods which you are bringing to Australia for yourself as well as customs
- any previous reference letters written by landlords, etc to assist in accommodation
- appropriate clothing for different types of weather
- and of course your toothbrush!
Before enrolment film from DEEWR
The Australian Government, Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) has funded the development of 'The Rainbow Guide' which gives Overseas Students important information about their rights and responsibilities and what they should know before leaving home. There is also a series of quirky animations depicting students learning about their Education Services, which has been design specifically for Overseas Students.