Training is provided for all Compass volunteers to ensure that they are best equipped to fulfil their role. The training, tailored for each Compass volunteer program, gives our volunteers the skills and confidence to succeed in our partner schools. In addition to the personal development benefits, the training is a chance to meet other volunteers who will be on the program.
Each Compass volunteer program has a specialised training program that all volunteers must complete. Review 2016 Compass Volunteer Training training dates here.
Key areas of focus during Compass training sessions include:
- Compass Induction: who we are and what we do
- Working with Children Guidelines
- Engaging & Motivating students
- Cultural Competence (working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students)
- Group Facilitation
- Working with refugee background students
Training will be held on the University of Sydney, Camperdown campus. Food and refreshments will be provided.
Before you can attend training, you must first apply and then attend a Compass volunteer interview.
For further information, please read our Frequently Asked Questions or .