Business Chinese Course for Beginners
Open to everyone, 10 weeks
Wed 07 Oct 2015 - Wed 09 Dec 2015 6:30pm – 8:30pm
Course fee: $280 (including GST)
The Confucius Institute, China Studies Centre and the Centre of Continuing Education have combined their strength and resources to launch a new Chinese Mandarin language program designed for professionals and business people who have little or no Chinese language knowledge.
The Business Chinese Course for Beginners contains the same Chinese language components as the Chinese Mandarin Course 1011: Standard (Beginners) course, with the addition of two Chinese culture and business etiquette workshops to enhance students’ knowledge of Chinese culture and improve cross-cultural communication skills. This course uses the same Chinese textbook Integrate Chinese and delivers the same language learning objectives as Chinese Mandarin Course 1011: Standard (Beginners). Students who have completed the Business Chinese Course are able to progress on to the Chinese Mandarin Course 1012: Standard course.
The Business Chinese Course for Beginners covers Integrated Chinese Level 1, Part 1, Lesson 1 to 2 and is taught over 2 hours per week in one session.
- Begins the first year of study in Chinese, and introduces 70 vocabulary items.
- Covers the basics with simple, graded activities on essential topics such as greetings, family.
- Covers topics on China and Chinese culture.
- Introduces basic grammatical structures.
- Positions pinyin text close to Chinese character text so students can focus on speaking and pronunciation.
- Course introduction.
- Chinese pronunciation and the five tones.
- Chinese sentence structure and grammar.
- Simplified Chinese characters and Pinyin Romanization system.
- Greeting and Introducing each other.
- Meeting family members.
- The verbs 姓 (xìng), 叫 (jiào), 是 (shì) and有 (yǒu).
- The adverbs 不 (bù), 也 (yě), 都 (dōu).
- The particles 的 (de).
- Usage of 二 (èr)/两 (liǎng).
- Questions ending with 吗 (ma) and 呢 (ne), questions pronouns.
- Measure words.
Topics on China and Chinese culture
- Geography, Climate, People
- Ethnicities, Religion, Government
- Chinese Culture & Business Etiquette
- Cultural Differences & Sensitivities
This Chinese course is delivered in the form of an interactive workshop where active participation is encouraged.
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Textbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
- Integrated Chinese, Level 1 Part 1 Character Workbook, 3rd Edition (Simplified & Traditional)
Both simplified and traditional character versions of the textbook and the two workbooks are available, however the simplified version will be taught in the classroom. Students can also opt for the electronic version of Chinese course materials.
While the Textbook is required for this course, the Workbook and Character Workbook are optional, but recommended.
In addition to purchasing course materials online, students may also be able to source textbooks from our preferred textbook suppliers.
Prescribed textbooks should only be purchased after confirmation is received from us that the course will proceed. This usually occurs up to 5 days prior to class commencement.
Suggested Textbook Suppliers
The Co-op Bookshop
Become a member and get up to 50% off everything – online, on your tablet or mobile, or in over 60 stores.
Language Book Centre
Take your enrolment confirmation and a copy of this page to the Language Book Centre to receive a 10% discount off the price of the recommended text or foreign language dictionaries for your course.
Telephone: 02 9036 7512