Chinese Calligraphy Course
This course aims to familiarise students with the key techniques for learning calligraphy that have been taught over the centuries in China. Studying calligraphy was as much a physical as a mental exercise, which in its initial stages aimed more at the control of breath and posture, and movement of the body, shoulder, arm and hand. The written characters were the result of achieving a certain balance.
This is a skills-oriented course starting with the origins of Chinese characters and the art of Chinese calligraphy. It acquaints students with the characteristics of the Official Script, focusing on the basic strokes and forms of written Chinese characters. Students will learn to sit and to concentrate on the movement of the brush. The emphasis is on the techniques, methods and practice of brush writing.
Students who want to progress further will be able to take more advanced course options later or move on to painting classes.
Topics covered include:
- The study of stone tablets from the Han/Tang dynasties
- Pick a favourite tablet (stele) to study
- Main features of Official Script
- Historical background of each model tablet
- Analysis of individual strokes in each model tablet
- Structural analysis of each model tablet
- Copy and practise up to 10 characters in each model tablet
- Seal and inscription on a small piece of finished work
Start date: To be announced
Location: Education Graphics Room 625/626, Camperdown Campus
Tuition fees: $260
View Education Building (A35) in a larger map
Pre-requisites: No pro-knowledge is required.
Materials: Students can buy writing brushes, paper and ink at recommended suppliers following consultation with the teacher.
Certificate: Evaluation is provided at the end of course. Certificates are awarded to those students who have satisfactorily completed at least 75% of the course and achieved the course requirements.
- The class will be conducted in English.
- Parking is available on the campus for a flat fee of $6 after 6pm.
- We aim to have a maximum number of 15 students in all our classes. If we exceed 15 students, we will try to split classes (depending on availability of teachers and facilities).
- All classes need a minimum number of students to go ahead. If your chosen course does not have sufficient enrolment, it may be postponed to next term or cancelled. Should this happen, we will inform you as soon as possible.
- For legal reasons, we reserve the right to vary courses due to unforeseen circumstances.
If you have any queries about this outline or any aspect of the Traditional Chinese Calligraphy Class, please do not hesitate to contact us on +61 2 9114 0760 or email