China Culture Study Tour
Are you intrigued by Chinese history, culture or the booming Chinese economy? Would you like to discover more about the country, its beautiful landscape, cuisine and people?
The Confucius Institute is offering University of Sydney students an opportunity to immerse in the culture and traditions of China through our China Culture Study Tour this December.
This 14 day Study Tour travels from Beijing and Shanghai to explore both cities’ fascinating historical and cultural sites Students will experiment with different art forms, interact with Chinese university students and sample the delights of authentic Chinese cuisine. The provisional dates for the upcoming tour are 10-23 December 2014.
Please email your application to by 25 September 2014.
Interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place on during the mid-semester break (29 September - 3 October).
Download Application here.
|Sydney to Shanghai||10 December|
|Beijing to Sydney||23 December|
Program in Shanghai
Day 1, Sydney - Shanghai
- Flight to Shanghai
Day 2, Shanghai
- Fudan welcome ceremony and campus tour in the morning.
- Field Trip: Nanjing Road, Yu Garden, Lu Jiazui District in the afternoon.
- Welcome dinner
Day 3, Shanghai
- Lecture: Shanghai’s Past and Present. This will offer an insight into
Shanghai’s rich culture and history.
- Field trip to Shanghai Museum which is famous for its ancient Chinese art.
- Attend a Chinese concert / performance
Day 4, Shanghai
- Lecture on Traditional Chinese Culture.
- Field-trip to the Confucian Temple in Jia Ding.
- River cruise
Day 5, Shanghai
- Lecture in Chinese philosophy
- Meetign with Fudan students
Day 6, Shanghai
- Field-trip to Wuzhen, a beautiful water town near Shanghai.
Day 7, Shanghai
- Lecture on Sino-Western Cultural Exchange in the morning.
- Attend a Chinese concert / performance
Day 8, Shanghai / Beijing
- Transfer to the airport for a flight to Beijing.
Program in Beijing
Day 9, Beijing
- Opening ceremony followed by an inspection of the college
- Chinese Calligraphy and Kung Fu classes
- Welcome lunch
Day 10, Beijing
- City tour with a visit to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City
- Visit CI Headquarters.
- Visit Temple of Heaven
- After dinner enjoy the famous martial arts show.
Day 11, Beijing
- Chinese language introduction class
- Attend handicrafts class.
- Head to Lao She Teahouse for some evening entertainment.
Day 12, Beijing
- Peking Opera performance
Day 13, Beijing
- Visit the Great Wall of China
- Visit the exquisite Summer Palace
Day 14, Beijing to Sydney
- Flight back to Sydney
Tour participants will only pay for:
- International airfare approx AUD 1200-1,300 with Eastern China Airline (fare may change depend on the time of your booking)
- Travel insurance – from AUD 175 (depending on the cover you choose with QBE)
- Visa application and services – AUD 98.50 for single entry for Australian Citizens
- Personal expenses in China based on individual requirements
Eligible candidates must:
- Possess a valid passport and be an Australian permanent resident or citizen and a non-Chinese passport holder
- Be current students of the Confucius Institute or The University of Sydney
- Be under the age of 35 (born after 21 September 1979)
- Not have received a scholarship within the last 12 months to study in China
- You MUST have a valid passport. If you do not have a passport or if it expires before 3 December 2013, you MUST apply for one now.
- Organise your travel insurance cover. Registrations will only be processed in accompanied by a valid travel insurance policy.
- Please inform us if you have severe health issues. Submit copies of your visa, travel insurance policy and passport to the Program Administrator.
- You must organise your own visa for the program and make sure you have a valid visa and passport for the duration of your stay in China.
- You will need to organise an appointment with the China Visa Application Centre. You can visit their website and begin your online visa application here.
- Australian passport holders should register with Smart Traveller at DFAT’s website - http://www.smarttraveller.gov.au/
- We recommend you to register with the Australian Embassy in Beijing. Foreign nationals should register with their own consulate and/or embassy in China. A listing of the Australian Embassy and consulates can be found at: www.dfat.gov.au/missions/
Tel: 9114 0760 or 90367512 Email: .
* Disclaimer: Program itinerary is subject to change without prior notice either before departure or after the commencement of the program.