Statutory Licences and Educational Purposes

Under Parts VA and VB of the Copyright Act (also known as Statutory Licences) and the agreements with the relevant collecting societies, the University can copy and communicate limited amounts of copyright material for educational purposes without prior permission of the copyright owners in return for royalty payments to copyright owners.

  • Part VA and the Screenrights Agreement covers off-air recording and use of TV and radio broadcasts including podcasts.
  • Part VB and the Agreement with the Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) covers copying and communication of text and literary works as well as images, diagrams and artworks
  • the Copyright Act does not include provisions for the educational use of recorded music but the University has signed a voluntary agreement, known as the Music Licence with the main music societies in Australia. This permits the copying, streaming and performance of a large range of sound recordings and musical works.
  • Educational purposes do not cover other activities of the University, such as research, marketing and promotion or engagement, for example public lectures.

General Information on Mandatory Usage Surveys under Statutory Licences

All universities that are part of this statutory licence agreement are required to undertake regular surveys of their use of material under the terms of the two statutory licences (Part VA and Part VB) that allow educational institutions to use copyright material for educational purposes without having to obtain permission from the owner.

These surveys are conducted separately for each of the licences and each survey is undertaken for a period of 6 or 12 weeks once every 3 to 5 years. During the period of a survey, staff are required to record every instance of copying they undertake using the Part VA or Part VB licence as appropriate.

In addition any central copying unit that makes electronic copies available online is required to provide full details of all electronic copying and communication undertaken during the survey period.

For further information contact the .