Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education: Mathematics) and Bachelor of Science

The information on this page applies to future students. Current students should refer to their faculty handbooks for course information.

This course will give you a professional qualification to teach in secondary schools in mathematics or science.

In this five-year degree you will acquire a strong practical and theoretical preparation for teaching. The course covers professional teaching, special education, international education, and information and communications technology.

You will need to complete a Bachelor of Science major in mathematics. You may also opt to study a second teaching method in science. Science teaching areas offered include biology, chemistry, earth and environmental science, geography, and physics. One year of chemistry or physics is compulsory if you intend to teach science.

School observation and practice teaching are integral components of the professional experiences in this degree. This professional experience is offered in partnership with participating schools and will provide you with the opportunity to develop your teaching skills and professional understanding.

In your fifth year you can take various education units of study, including Teaching International English, Meeting the Needs of Cultural Diversity, and Responding to Diverse Needs in Schools.

Why study with us?

1. The University of Sydney is world renowned for education, ranked 11th in the world*, with our rigorous and innovative courses employing the latest teaching approaches and placing significant emphasis on professional experience.

2. Study in acclaimed research institutes including the Australian Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology and the Charles Perkins Centre.

*QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017


What is a major?

All students need to complete a major in mathematics. A major is a three-year defined sequence of study. Majors are included on students' testamurs. A major in mathematics requires the completion of 24 credit points of senior units of study in mathematics. Students may obtain a second major and this must relate to a science teaching area (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Earth and Environmental Science or Geography). A major in a science area requires the completion of 24 credit points of senior units of study in one Science subject area, including any units of study specified in the table of units of study as compulsory for that major. A student may not count a unit of study toward more than one major.

Further course information

Course opportunities

The Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education: Mathematics) and Bachelor of Science combined course includes significant professional experience placements in schools. The placements begin in the third year of the course and the amount of responsibility and duration of the placements progressively increases until the final placement, in which students are competent to teach under minimal supervision.

Course outcomes and further study

Graduate opportunities

Mathematics or science teacher, curriculum consultant, corporate trainer, educational researcher, government and business administrator.

Course accreditation

Our undergraduate Education courses are accredited by the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA).

Further study

Eligible candidates may apply for admission to a rich postgraduate program with the Sydney School of Education and Social Work comprising advanced learning and professional courses. Master's degrees include capstone independent research projects, supervised by experts in the field of study, which prepare students for higher degrees by research.

About honours

Honours is available to meritorious students, in either Education or Bachelor of Science. Honours in Education requires the completion of an alternative 12 credit-point honours pathway described in the Bachelor of Education (Secondary: Mathematics) and Bachelor of Science Table of units. Completion of the degree is required in the minimum standard full-time duration.


Admission requirements

Admission to this course is on the basis of a secondary school leaving qualification such as the NSW Higher School Certificate (including national and international equivalents), tertiary study or an approved preparation program. English language requirements must be met where these are not demonstrated by sufficient qualifications taught in English. Special admission pathways are open for domestic mature aged applicants who do not possess a school leaving qualification, educationally disadvantaged applicants and for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Applicants are ranked by merit and offers for available places are issued according to the ranking.

Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education Students

The requirement to complete literacy and numeracy testing applies to all students enrolled in the BEd (Primary); BEd (Health and PE); BEd (Secondary:Humanities and Social Sciences)/BA; BEd (Secondary: Maths)/BSc; BEd (Secondary: Science)/BSc; and all Master of Teaching programs except MTeach (Early Childhood).

Information about LANTITES for students commencing their studies in 2017 and beyond will be required to have successfully completed testing as follows:

All BEd students commencing their studies in 2017 and beyond will be expected to sit and pass the test within the first two years of candidature.

Useful links

To register to take the test, go to

For information about teacher-accreditation requirements in NSW, including the testing, go to the website of the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) at

The academic requirements that are displayed are applicable to currently available courses only, and are updated annually in October and may be changed without notice. The Handbooks Online and the University of Sydney Calendar are the official legal source of information relating to study at the University of Sydney, and you are referred to those documents.

How to apply

Domestic students

How to apply

Prospective domestic students apply through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) for a Commonwealth supported place. Refer to the UAC website for key dates.

Current students applying to transfer from one bachelor's degree to another apply directly to the University. The exact process will depend on the course you are currently in and the course to which you wish to transfer. For more information visit the transferring courses page.

Current students applying to transfer from a diploma to a bachelor's degree must apply through UAC.

For other useful information, visit our how to apply page.

Assumed knowledge

Any two units of English (not English as a Second Language) with a Band 5 minimum, and Band 5 in two other HSC subjects. Mathematics or HSC Mathematics Extension 1. Other assumed knowledge depends on the areas or units studied.

International students

How to apply

Visit the how to apply page for detailed information on if you need to apply directly to the University or through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). When you are ready to apply, select the ‘Apply now’ button on the right-hand side of this course page.