The Accounting specialisation equips students with an in-depth understanding of the current techniques and practices in accounting for use in an executive or managerial position and encourages a sense of enquiring mind. It examines key issues relating to financial accounting, management accounting, decision making, audit and assurance, financial statement analysis, accounting systems, corporate governance, sustainability reporting, management control systems and international accounting. With its emphasis on understanding, analysing and interpreting financial and non-financial information for decision making, this specialisation qualifies students in the evaluation of the financial position and performance of companies and their accounting systems, governance and management controls. In addition to giving an important start to professional accreditation, this specialisation prepares students to work either locally or overseas, within an accounting practice or other public and private sector organisations. This specialisation provides students with strong technical, analytical and problem solving skills, while keeping abreast of contemporary accounting practice.
To meet requirements for this specialisation in the Master's degree, you will complete five units of study (30 credit points), comprising:
(1) one six credit point foundational unit of study:
- ACCT5001 Accounting Principles
(2) four elective units of study (24 credit points) selected from the available elective options listed in the University of Sydney Business School (Postgraduate) Handbook, including:
- ACCT5002 Managerial Accounting and Decision Making
- ACCT6001 Intermediate Financial Reporting
- ACCT6002 International Accounting
- ACCT6003 Financial Statement Analysis
- ACCT6006 Advanced Managerial Accounting
- ACCT6007 Contemporary Issues in Auditing
- ACCT6010 Advanced Financial Reporting
- ACCT6014 Designing Accounting Systems
- ACCT6015 Extending Performance Reporting
A career at a challenging level of professional accounting is simply one option available to graduates with this prestigious qualification. A postgraduate specialisation in Accounting opens up a world of exciting possibilities for the ambitious student in further research as well as the global financial sector.
Specialisation study mode