HONOURS SUBJECT AREA
Socio-Legal Studies is designed for students who are interested in studying and understanding legal ideas, institutions and practices from the perspectives of the humanities and social sciences. It provides an opportunity to engage with the ever-changing relationship between law and society using the methods of a broad range of humanities and social science disciplines including: history; philosophy; political science, sociology, social policy; performance studies; anthropology; literary studies and economics.
The honours year
The Bachelor of Arts (Honours) year provides students who have qualified for, or been awarded, an undergraduate pass degree in the arts or humanities the opportunity to extend their potential in research. Students may continue to work in the area of their undergraduate study or undertake research in a different area.
The Bachelor of Arts (Honours) focuses on establishing your individual research practise, further equipping you for employment or entry into the Master of Arts or Doctor of Philosophy programs.
Workload and assessment
Honours students in Socio-Legal Studies take two 2-hour seminars in Semester One, each involving 6000-8000 words of writing or equivalent, then complete a thesis of 18000-20000 words in Semester Two. The specific content of the seminars changes each year, but in general they are focused on practical methodology, theory construction, and professional socialisation. Final marks for the Honours year are computed as 20% of each of the seminar marks (40% total) and 60% of the thesis mark.
Related subject areas
Sociology, Social Policy