Advanced Aerodynamics (AERO5200)
UNIT OF STUDY
To develop a specialist knowledge in the fields of computational, non-linear and unsteady and aerodynamics. The develop familiarity with the techniques for predicting airflow/structure interactions for aerospace vehicles.
(a)Advanced two and three dimensional panel method techniques; calculation of oscillatory flow results; prediction of aerodynamic derivatives. Pressure distributions for complete aircraft configuration. Unsteady subsonic flow analysis of aircraft; calculation of structural modes. Structural response to gusts; aeroelasticity; flutter and divergence. Solution of aerospace flow problems using finite element methods.
(b)Unsteady supersonic one-dimensional flow. Hypersonic flow; real gas effects. Introduction to the use of CFD for transonic flow.
(c)Rarefied gas dynamics. Direct simulation method (DSMC); near-continuum solutions. Simulation techniques for numerical solutions of non-linear continuum flow.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
- Graduate Certificate in Engineering
- Graduate Diploma in Engineering
- Master of Engineering (Automation and Manufacturing Systems)
- Master of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Aerospace)
Further unit of study information
Lecture 2 hrs/week; Tutorial 2 hrs/week.
Through semester assessment (100%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
AERO5210 or AERO9260 or AERO3260
BE in the area of Aerospace Engineering or related Engineering field.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.