Agribusiness Marketing (AGEC2102)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study is designed to provide an introductory understanding of agribusiness marketing in a modern context. The unit will provide students in the Sciences degrees with an understanding of how the economic theory taught in first year in AGEC1006 can be treated in an applied context. For BAgrEc students, it is an intermediate level unit in the Agribusiness major.
Students will study the theory relating to the firm-level marketing mix and marketing strategy. The emphasis will be on the organisation and trends of agribusiness marketing including value-adding and market power in the supply chain, market efficiency and international marketing by agribusiness firms.
The unit content is analytical, and draws on applied microeconomics to demonstrate how marketing decisions are made along the marketing chain. At the end of this unit students will be able to use marketing theory to analyse the steps in the marketing chain and be aware of the forces for change within that chain.
By completing this unit, students should have improved their ability to master key theories, identify and frame problems, organise knowledge, carry out individual and group research, and synthesise information. They should also have improved their information literacy skills, and communication skills through group presentations and individual research.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Food and Agribusiness
- Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) and Doctor of Dental Medicine
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Science and Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture
Further unit of study information
2x1hr lectures/week, 1x1hr tutorial/week
Group presentation (15%), 1x2000wd case study (25%), and 1x2hr exam (60%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
AGEC1006 or AGEC1102 or RSEC1031
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.