Mechanics of Solids (AMME2301)
UNIT OF STUDY
Equilibrium of deformable structures; basic concept of deformation compatibility; stress and strain in bars, beams and their structures subjected to tension, compression, bending, torsion and combined loading; statically determinate and indeterminate structures; energy methods for bar and beam structures; simple buckling; simple vibration; deformation of simple frames and cell box beams; simple two-dimensional stress and Morh's circle; problem-based applications in aerospace, mechanical and biomedical engineering.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Health Sciences and Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Science and Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
Further unit of study information
Lecture 3 hrs/week; Tutorial 2 hrs/week.
Through semester assessment (35%) and Final Exam (65%)
R.C. Hibbeler/Mechanics of Materials/9th/2014/9789810694364//
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
ENGG1802 AND (MATH1001 OR MATH1901) AND (MATH1002 OR MATH1902) AND (MATH1003 OR MATH1903)
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.