Asian Popular Culture (ASNS6905)
UNIT OF STUDY
Asia is fast becoming the centre of new developments in the mass media. Focusing on East and Southeast Asia, this unit will introduce major regional trends in film and television, differences in media systems, and cross-cultural understandings of Asian media. Particular focus will be on the analysis of feature films and television from Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Thailand and/or China, and on pan-Asian developments. These analyses will include discussions of the social, cultural and political roles of media.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Design Computing
- Executive Master of Arts and Social Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Cultural Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Media Practice
- Graduate Diploma in Cultural Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Media Practice
- Master of Crosscultural Communication
- Master of Cultural Studies
- Master of Media Practice
Further unit of study information
1x1500wd analytical report on an Asian media item (30%), 1x3500wd major Essay (60%), class participation (10%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.