Ethics and Public Health (BETH5203)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit provides students with an overview of the ethical and political issues that underlie public health and public health research. The unit begins with some fundamentals: the nature of ethics, of public health (and how it might be different to clinical medicine) and of public health ethics. It introduces key concepts in public health ethics including liberty, utility, justice, solidarity and reciprocity, and introduces students to different ways of reasoning about the ethics of public health. A range of practical public health problems and issues will be considered, including ethical dimensions of communicable and non-communicable diseases in populations, and the ethical challenges of public health research. Throughout, the emphasis is on learning to make sound arguments about the ethical aspects of public health policy, practice and research. Most learning occurs in the context of five teaching intensives, which are highly interactive and focus on the development and application of reasoning skills.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Arts and Social Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Animal Science
- Graduate Certificate in Bioethics
- Graduate Certificate in Health Communication
- Graduate Certificate in Health Policy
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Certificate in Veterinary Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Animal Science
- Graduate Diploma in Bioethics
- Graduate Diploma in Clinical Epidemiology
- Graduate Diploma in Health Communication
- Graduate Diploma in Health Policy
- Graduate Diploma in Health Technology Innovation
- Graduate Diploma in Human Rights
- Graduate Diploma in Public Health
- Graduate Diploma in Sustainability
- Graduate Diploma in Veterinary Studies
- Master of Animal Science
- Master of Bioethics
- Master of Health Communication
- Master of Health Policy
- Master of Health Security
- Master of Health Technology Innovation
- Master of Human Rights
- Master of International Public Health
- Master of Medicine (Clinical Epidemiology)
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Public Health (Professional Practice)
- Master of Science in Medicine (Clinical Epidemiology)
- Master of Sustainability
- Master of Veterinary Studies
Further unit of study information
5x7hour intensives; or Distance Education (online).
5xOnline Quiz (50%); 1x2500wd essay (50%)
Students are provided with a list of readings (in digital format).
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.