Clinical Ethics (BETH5204)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit will facilitate students to critically review the ethical issues that underlie the delivery of healthcare. Students will explore: major conceptual models for ethical reasoning in the clinical context; key ethical concepts in the clinical encounter (such as consent, professionalism and confidentiality); major contexts in which ethical issues arise in clinical practice; and the role of clinical ethics consultation. The unit will also consider specific issues and populations within clinical practice, such as ethical aspects of healthcare at the beginning and end of life.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Bioethics
- Graduate Certificate in Clinical Epidemiology
- Graduate Diploma in Bioethics
- Graduate Diploma in Clinical Epidemiology
- Graduate Diploma in Medicine (Metabolic Health)
- Graduate Diploma in Medicine (Paediatric Medicine)
- Graduate Diploma in Science in Medicine (Metabolic Health)
- Master of Bioethics
- Master of Medicine (Advanced) (Metabolic Health)
- Master of Medicine (Advanced) (Paediatric Medicine)
- Master of Medicine (Clinical Epidemiology)
- Master of Medicine (Metabolic Health)
- Master of Medicine (Paediatric Medicine)
- Master of Science in Medicine (Advanced) (Metabolic Health)
- Master of Science in Medicine (Clinical Epidemiology)
- Master of Science in Medicine (Metabolic Health)
Further unit of study information
4x8hr Intensives or Distance Education (online). Attendance is compulsory if enrolled in face-to-face mode
1x1500wd case study (30%); 1x2500wd essay (50%); continuous assessment (short weekly tasks) (10%); 2x400wd Short Tasks (10%)
All readings are accessed online via elearning.
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
If an insufficient number of students opt to attend seminars on campus, the co-ordinator may choose to teach this Unit of Study in online mode only. Students will be contacted if this occurs.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.