Writing a Research Proposal (BHSC3014)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit is designed to assist students understand the principles of writing a research proposal, applicable for either project planning or evaluation within health or for further research (e.g., Honours). Students will be introduced to the key components of preparing and writing up a proposal: purpose of the research and question(s) to be addressed; reviewing existing literature on the topic; deciding on a research methodology and methods used to collect data; proposing an approach for data analysis; identifying ethical issues and working through the process of applying for ethics approval; providing a clear plan and timeline for each stage of the research. At the completion of this unit, students will have undertaken an ethics application, planned, orally presented and written up a research proposal. This unit of study is recommended for students who wish to undertake Honours after completion of the pass degree.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Health Sciences and Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
1x2-hr lecture/week, 1x1-hr tutorial/week
Ethics application 1500 words (30%), oral presentation (20%), research proposal 2000 words (50%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
(HSBH1006 and (HSBH1007 or HSBH2007) and HSBH1008 and HSBH1009) or (BACH1161) or (NURS1003)
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.