Intro to Tropical Wildlife Biology (BIOL2010)
UNIT OF STUDY
Australia has a unique terrestrial vertebrate fauna and native wildlife management presents special challenges for biologists, conservationists and land managers because of Australia's climate, landforms, and the rarity of many species. This unit of study considers fundamental questions in biology by addressing the biogeography, ecology and management of Australia's terrestrial fauna, with a focus on the wet-dry tropical savannah woodlands. Study in this unit includes a one-week field trip at Mary River Park in the Northern Territory and at Litchfield National Park. Professional biologists working on a range of environmental issues in wet-dry tropical woodlands from the Northern Territory will present guest lecturers to students and, in the field, students will track and identify wildlife and conduct faunal surveys. The fieldtrip is followed by a one-week intensive of lectures and prac sessions on Camperdown campus. This unit of study provides a suitable foundation for senior biology units of study.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Design Computing
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education: Mathematics) and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education: Science) and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Science and Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Science and Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
Further unit of study information
One week intensive field trip plus one week intensive lecture and prac session.
Practical exam (15%), Presentation (15%), Reports (30%), Theory exam (40%).
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
12cp Junior BIOL; or 6cp Junior BIOL and (MBLG1001 or MBLG1901).
BIOL3910, BIOL2910, BIOL3010
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.