Introduction to Marine Field Ecology (BIOL2028)
UNIT OF STUDY
This fieldwork unit of study provides an introduction to experimental research on marine organisms. Students do research projects designed to develop an understanding of the experimental studies of marine organisms and the analysis of resulting data. The ethos of the unit is to encourage students to develop a logical approach to hypothesis testing in marine ecology, by experimentally testing hypotheses on the distribution and behaviour of marine organisms. Emphasis is given to developing research skills in field ecology and placing empirical observations into a coherent logical structure. This unit of study provides a suitable foundation for senior biology units of study.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Design Computing
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education: Mathematics) and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education: Science) and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science and Master of Nursing
Further unit of study information
8-day intensive field course
In-class test on Biodiversity (30%), descriptive reports of sampling methodologies appropriate to different organisms (20%), practical reports/presentations (40%), record keeping and participation (10%).
Kingsford M, Battershill C (1998) Studying Marine Temperate Environments: A Handbook for
Ecologists. Christchurch: Canterbury University Press. 335 p.
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
12cp Junior BIOL, or (6cp Junior BIOL and (MBLG1001 or MBLG1901))
BIOL1002 or BIOL1902 and 12 cp of Intermediate Biology
BIOL2928 or BIOL3008 or BIOL3908
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.