Structure, Function and Disease B (BIOS1158)
UNIT OF STUDY
This is an entry-level unit designed to give students an overview of anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology of the digestive, urinary, reproductive, endocrine, nervous and immune systems relevant for professional practice. The basic concepts of neoplasia will be introduced and students will also learn the essential principles of infection control in health care practice Material will be presented in lectures, tutorials and practical sessions. Students are expected to complete self-directed learning packages prior to some practical sessions. This unit includes laboratory classes in which human cadavers are studied; attendance at such classes is strongly encouraged. Students who achieve a pass have a basic working knowledge of professionally relevant aspects of anatomy and physiology. Students who achieve higher grades are better able to integrate various aspects of the unit, and to apply their knowledge to solve problems or explain higher level phenomena.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Diagnostic Radiography)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Diagnostic Radiography) Honours
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Occupational Therapy)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Occupational Therapy) Honours
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Health Sciences and Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
Four 1hr lectures, one 2hr practical/week
Online quizzes (5%), Mid-semester examination (30%), End-semester examinations (65%). Formative assessment provided
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.