Current Issues in Healthcare (BIOS3066)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit introduces students to selected developments that are impacting, or are likely to impact, on the practice and management of the health care in Australia. Because health care is driven by a multitude of forces, the scope of the developments studied is broad. Topics to be covered will be drawn from the basic sciences applicable to health care, and health management. Examples of the topics under consideration include a critical analysis of complementary and alternative medicine, advances in assisted reproductive technologies and emerging diseases and infections. Material will be presented in lectures, with use of self-directed learning and individual or group projects. The unit integrates units of study completed earlier in the program, thus enabling students to apply their knowledge while developing the skills needed to analyse, understand and anticipate future directions in health care.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Diagnostic Radiography)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Occupational Therapy)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Occupational Therapy) Honours
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Health Sciences and Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
1x2-hr lecture fortnightly, commencing week 2, plus independent on-line learning modules with email support
Online quiz (20%), written assignment (25%), end semester exam (55%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.