Photography and the Darkroom (CAEL2042)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study introduces the principles of black and white photography via the 35mm camera and the darkroom. You explore alternative documentary photography strategies by challenging the role of the camera to simply observe and capture. You experiment with the genres of reportage, street photography and conventional documentary practices, and are encouraged to take an interventionist approach to the urban environment. You are introduced to the 35 mm manual SLR camera, black and white film processing, dark room printing, film exposure and photographic print enlargement.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Science and Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Bachelor of Visual Arts
Further unit of study information
1x3-hour studio class/week
technique task (20%) and concept task (20%) and self-directed major project (60%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.