Quality and Safety in Health Care (CEPI5200)
UNIT OF STUDY
The unit has four major content areas delivered as modules covering:- An understanding Q&S in Healthcare; Professional and ethical practice; Understanding systems and the effect of complexity on patient care; Improving Healthcare. At the end of the unit students will: understand the background to quality and safety in health care, from Australian and international perspectives; understand the nature of health care error including the methods of error detection and monitoring, and quality indicators; understand the role of good communication and other professional responsibilities in quality and safety in healthcare; have developed an understanding of clinical governance, accountability and systems management; have considered methods for improving healthcare such as getting research into practice, clinical practice guidelines and clinical practice improvement. This unit consists of online discussions and activities based around key provided readings and other resources.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Doctor of Clinical Surgery
- Graduate Certificate in Clinical Epidemiology
- Graduate Diploma in Clinical Epidemiology
- Graduate Diploma in Medicine (Critical Care Medicine)
- Graduate Diploma in Medicine (Metabolic Health)
- Graduate Diploma in Medicine (Paediatric Medicine)
- Graduate Diploma in Public Health
- Graduate Diploma in Science in Medicine (Metabolic Health)
- Master of Medicine (Advanced) (Critical Care Medicine)
- Master of Medicine (Advanced) (Paediatric Medicine)
- Master of Medicine (Clinical Epidemiology)
- Master of Medicine (Critical Care Medicine)
- Master of Medicine (Paediatric Medicine)
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Public Health (Professional Practice)
- Master of Science in Medicine (Clinical Epidemiology)
Further unit of study information
online participation (20%) and 4 x1000 word assignment tasks (80%)
Online readings and other learning resources will be provided.
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
clinical experience strongly recommended
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.