UNIT OF STUDY
This is a one semester unit of study designed to provide (i) a suitable foundation for subsequent units of study such as biochemistry, animal nutrition, physiology and pharmacology, and (ii) a chemical background that will aid in the understanding, diagnosis and treatment of disease. It covers chemical theory, inorganic, physical and organic chemistry with many examples from biological areas. It pre-supposes a satisfactory prior knowledge of HSC Chemistry. A total of 39 hours of lectures comprising 18 lectures in inorganic and physical chemistry and 21 lectures in organic chemistry. Students wishing to enrol in CHEM1405 who do not have the assumed chemical knowledge are advised to consult the School of Chemistry for information about a bridging course.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
Three 1 hour lectures and one 1 hour tutorial per week; one 3 hour practical per week for 8 weeks.
Theory examination (60%), laboratory work (15%), online assignments (10%) and continuous assessment quizzes (15%)
A booklist is available from the First Year Chemistry website. http://sydney.edu.au/science/chemistry/firstyear
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.