Process Design (CHNG3801)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study consists of two strands: (1) vapour-liquid equilibrium and distillation and (2) heat transfer and heat exchangers. The central aim is to show how these unit operations interact in the design and operation of process equipment. The first strand focuses on the following; numerical methods for predicting vapour-liquid equilibrium; binary and multi-component distillation; deviations from ideal behaviour. The second strand of this unit of study focuses on the understanding of the differences between various conventional heat exchanger types and their strengths and weaknesses. Students will understand and be able to design a range of conventional heat exchangers using a systematic approach, and will focus on design and heat transfer calculations. The two strands make extensive use of computer software: Excel and Matlab for data manipulation and equation solving; commercial flowsheeting software (Hysys) for solving engineering design problems. This unit of study runs concurrently with another enabling technology unit of study CHNG3802. These two units together provide students with the tools and know-how to tackle real-life engineering problems encountered in the concurrent project-based unit of study, CHNG3803. This integrated course structure is designed to help students become familiar with the multi-disciplinary nature of chemical engineering today.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Music Studies
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
Through semester assessment (40%) and Final Exam (60%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
(CHNG2801 AND CHNG2802 AND CHNG2803 AND CHNG2804 AND CHNG2805 AND CHNG2806) OR (CHNG2801 AND CHNG2803 AND CHNG2804 AND AMME2960)
Enrolment in this unit of study assumes that all (six) core chemical engineering UoS in second year have been successfully completed.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.