Chemical/Biological Process Design (CHNG3803)
UNIT OF STUDY
This is a project based unit of study where students will work in small teams through three project-driven case studies covering a range of design scenarios, from the domain of chemical and biological processes. This course runs in parallel with CHNG3801 and CHNG3802, and the projects allow the students to demonstrate their knowledge of process modelling, the design of rate and equilibrium processes, the control of chemical processes and the practical and commercial aspects of design. Projects include designing equipment such as fermenters, reactors, distillation columns and heat exchangers, determining the optimal operating conditions for individual items of equipment, estimating the operating costs of processes, designing small flowsheets and designing simple control systems. By the end of this unit students will be proficient in estimating the feasibility of processes, designing individual items of equipment and designing small flowsheets.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Music Studies
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
Project Work - in class
Through semester assessment (50%) and Final Exam (50%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
(CHNG2801 AND CHNG2802 AND CHNG2803 AND CHNG2804 AND CHNG2805 AND CHNG2806) OR (CHNG2801 AND CHNG2803 AND CHNG2804 AND AMME2960)
Ability to conduct mass and energy balances, and the integration of these concepts to solve real chemical engineering problems. Ability to understand basic principles of physical chemistry, physics and mechanics. Ability to use mathematics of calculus (including vector calculus) and linear algebra, and carry out computations with MATLAB and MS EXCEL. Ability to read widely outside of the technical literature, and to synthesise arguments based on such literature. Ability to write coherent reports and essays based on qualitative and quantitative information.
CHNG3801 and CHNG3802
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.