Management of Industrial Systems (CHNG3806)
UNIT OF STUDY
Aims and Objectives: To develop an appreciation of management practice in process-led and product-driven industries; considering approaches to project management, economic evaluation of processes, risk assessment and decision making; to develop the requisite tools to support above; to consider approaches to innovation and entrepreneurship; to consider all this in the context of different scales of operation - from single process, to business unit, to enterprise, and across supply and value chains; to support this analysis through real-problem case studies and projects.
By the end of this unit of study a student should be competent in: preparing a resume for use in employment applications; developing project work plans in conjunction with project management schedules; performing economic evaluations of projects, plans and processes; performing qualitative risk assessments of projects, plans and processes; exploring optimisation of complex processes under risk and uncertainty, covering unit operations, business units, enterprises and value chains.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Music Studies
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
Lecture 2 hrs/week; Tutorial 3 hrs/week; Independent Study,
Through semester assessment (100%)
Peters, Timmerhaus and West/Plant Design and Economics for Chemical Engineers/Fifth/2003/0-07-239266-5//
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
CHNG2801; CHNG2802; CHNG2803; CHNG2804; CHNG2805; CHNG2806
Ability to conduct mass and energy balances, and the integration of these concepts to solve real chemical engineering problems. Ability to understand basic principles of physical chemistry, physics and mechanics. Ability to use mathematics of calculus (including vector calculus) and linear algebra, and carry out computations with MATLAB and MS EXCEL. Ability to read widely outside of the technical literature, and to synthesise arguments based on such literature. Ability to write coherent reports and essays based on qualitative information.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.