Chemical Engineering Design B (CHNG4806)
UNIT OF STUDY
In the overall design process, chemical engineers must clearly understand the (often complex) interactions and trade-offs that occur between technical, economic, social and environmental considerations. This UoS builds on concepts in each of these areas introduced in previous years but with an emphasis on their successful integration within a comprehensive design activity.
This design activity is spread over two UoS (Chemical Engineering Design A and B) run in first and second semester. The primary aim in the first UoS is to consider the technical issues with an emphasis on creating and evaluating a range of alternative options that exist at both the unit operation and complete flowsheet levels. The primary emphasis in this UoS is on evaluating how non-technical considerations affect the final process design and its operation.
Students joining this course from the Major Industrial Placement Project (MIPPs CHNG 4203) or as overseas students (with approval) do the same assignment ut on a different schedule.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Music Studies
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
Lecture, Project Work - own time, Project Work - in class, for an average of 3hrs per week
Through semester assessment (100%)
Peters, Timmerhaus and West/Plant Design and Economics for Chemical Engineers/Fifth/2003/0-07-239266-5//
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
CHNG4802 or CHNG4203
CHNG3801 AND CHNG3802 AND CHNG3803 AND CHNG3805 AND CHNG3806 AND CHNG3807. Enrolment in this unit of study assumes that all core chemical engineering units of study in third-year have been successfully completed, as well as the related first semester UoS CHNG4802 or CHNG4203
Department permission required for enrollment in session 1
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.