Thesis A (CHNG4811)
UNIT OF STUDY
The ability to plan, systematically conduct and report on a major research project is an important skill for professional engineers. This unit of study builds on technical competencies introduced in previous years, as well as making use of the report writing and communications skills the students have developed. The research activity is spread over two units (Chemical Engineering Thesis A and B) run in first and second semester. In this unit of study, students are required to plan and begin work on a major research project, which is very often some aspect of a staff member`s research interests. Some of the projects will be experimental in nature, while others may involve computer-based simulation, design or literature surveys. In this unit, students will learn how to examine published and experimental data, set objectives, organize a program of work and devise an experimental or developmental program. The progress at the end of Thesis A will be evaluated based on a seminar presentation and a progress report. The skills acquired will be invaluable to students undertaking engineering work. Students are expected to take the initiative when pursuing their research projects. The supervisor will be available for discussion - typically 1 hour per week.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil) and Bachelor of Design in Architecture
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Music Studies
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
Meeting 1 hr/week; Project Work - own time 5 hrs/week.
Through semester assessment (100%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
CHNG3801, CHNG3802, CHNG3803, CHNG3805, CHNG3806, CHNG3807.
CHNG3801 AND CHNG3802 AND CHNG3803 AND CHNG3805 AND CHNG3806 AND CHNG3807. Enrolment in this unit of study assumes that all (six) core chemical engineering unit of study in third year have been successfully completed
CHNG4813 OR CHNG4814
This unit is available to only those students who have gained an entry to the Honours degree. School permission required for enrolment in semester 2.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.