Capstone Project B (CHNG5021)
UNIT OF STUDY
The ability to plan, systematically conduct and report on a major research project is an important skill for professional engineers. This unit of study builds on technical competencies introduced in previous years, as well as making use of the report writing and communications skills the students have developed. The research activity is spread over two units (Capstone Project A and B) run in first and second semester. In this unit of study, the primary emphasis is on the execution of a comprehensive and systemic series of investigations, and the reporting of the study in a major thesis document and an oral presentation. Students will acquire skills in developing a plan for a series of studies to illuminate an area of research, in evaluating alternatives at the conceptual level with a view to creating a `short-list` worthy of more detailed technical investigation, and in searching the literature for guidance of the studies. Further, communication skills will be developed, such as the ability to clearly present the background and results in a written format and in an oral presentation to a general engineering audience. This UoS is part of an integrated (two semester) fourth year program involving a chemical engineering research project and thesis. It has the overarching aim of completing the `vertical integration` of knowledge - one of the pillars on which this degree program is based. The supervisor will be available for discussion - typically 1 hour per week.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
- Graduate Certificate in Engineering
- Graduate Diploma in Engineering
- Master of Engineering (Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering)
- Master of Engineering (Sustainability and Environmental Engineering)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Chemical and Biomolecular)
Further unit of study information
Meeting 1 hr/week; Project Work - own time 5 hrs/week.
Through semester assessment (100%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Enrolment in this unit of study assumes that Capstone Project A has been successfully completed.
School permission required for enrolment in session 1.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.